Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Breeding Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/breeding-fish-65279/)

fishgalore144 03-14-2011 06:48 PM

Breeding Fish

Hello. I cannot decide on which fish to get I have it down to three different types and I am hoping to breed. I have a 10 gallon tank and willing to buy whatever I need for breeding. I am deciding between the Harlequin Rasbora, Zebra Danio, and the Balloon Belly Fish. I don't have a lot of experience breeding fish but, I have breed a couple groups of Balloon Bellies before. I am hoping to get the fish soon and get my aquarium up and running again after my goldfish died :(

small fry 03-14-2011 08:18 PM

If you are going to breed Zebra Danios, you need a bigger tank. Actually, if you are going to keep Zebra Danios, you need a bigger tank. They require lots of length for swimming, as they love to dart all day. Also, they may not breed if your water is soft. You may want to check your water.

I don't know alot about ballon belly mollies, but if they are like every other molly and live-bearer (mollies are live-bearers), they will probably breed automatically, and will eat their young. Don't know about ballon mollies specifically, but I figure they are probably the same. Someone else probably knows better than I do, though.

I have never had an interest in breeding Harlequin Rasbora, so I am not even going to say anything about breeding those.

You may end up with a huge amount of fry for any of the species listed, so make sure you have either room to keep them (which would be ALOT), or people/a company to take/buy them from you.

alysalouise 03-14-2011 09:28 PM

Well i would say Zebra fish, i have had the same zebra fish since november, and last thursday i finally got 2 more, added them with her the next day, instentaly my old one and one of the new ones were breeding, so i put the three of them in my 2 gallon tank and the following day took them out and then that night took out all of the rocks ever so gently, and i just checked, i have babies hatching, this is my first time, and she laid around 60-70 eggs, ill add them with the rest of my fish when they arent snack sized

Plumkin 03-14-2011 09:58 PM

how about rams?

small fry 03-15-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alysalouise (Post 618508)
Well i would say Zebra fish, i have had the same zebra fish since november, and last thursday i finally got 2 more, added them with her the next day, instentaly my old one and one of the new ones were breeding, so i put the three of them in my 2 gallon tank and the following day took them out and then that night took out all of the rocks ever so gently, and i just checked, i have babies hatching, this is my first time, and she laid around 60-70 eggs, ill add them with the rest of my fish when they arent snack sized

A good reason why not to breed Zebra Danios without a good store to sell to. Make sure they will take your fry. Alot of stores will accept them when they are 1/2" and over. Also, Zebra Danio are "school" fish and require a group of no less than 6. Don't forget that you will need at least a 20g tank to keep the adults and juvies, keep the fry separate as mentioned above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plumkin (Post 618552)
how about rams?

A 10g tank is too small to keep rams, especially breeding 2. They dwell in the bottom areas of the tank, an a 10g tank does not offer very much space. I would never recomend them in a tank smaller than a normal 20g, but a 20gL or 30g would be better.

fishgalore144 03-15-2011 08:27 PM

Okay thanks I think I am going to get the balloon belly mollies since I had some before in the tank and it went wonderfully and total we had around 60 babies but, I do have a 56 gallon tank for the fry to eventually go in and of course some of them will be given to my friends and if any more will be sold.

alysalouise 03-15-2011 10:30 PM

[quote=small fry;618861]A good reason why not to breed Zebra Danios without a good store to sell to. Make sure they will take your fry. Alot of stores will accept them when they are 1/2" and over. Also, Zebra Danio are "school" fish and require a group of no less than 6. Don't forget that you will need at least a 20g tank to keep the adults and juvies, keep the fry separate as mentioned above.

Yas i know their school fish, i have 9, and all the babies, and a 29 gallon right now, but ill be setting up my 55 for when the babies get big enough, i do plan to keep most, and i have friends that are wanting to buy some, so im pretty set