Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   apple snail should i remove ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/apple-snail-should-i-remove-65230/)

stevespurs 03-14-2011 10:02 AM

apple snail should i remove ?

hi guys i recently (2 days ago) got a small tank for my baby fry(guppys) it come with a couple small fish which i put in my main tank,but have noticed a apple snail and lots of babies,do i remove these?.will the fry be ok in this tank? will these snails just keep multiplying and over run the baby tank...should i put in a couple assassin snails or leave all alone..many thanx guys

SuperRyan89 03-14-2011 10:14 AM

I remember when I bought some plants for my tank once they brought snails with them. At first i thought they were cool.. but in no time at all they over ran the place and made the tank unhealthy. I would get rid of them as soon as possible, but depending what type and size they are it may be different to my experience. Loaches worked great to remove them for me, also i picked out what I could.

Lupin 03-14-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevespurs (Post 617840)
hi guys i recently (2 days ago) got a small tank for my baby fry(guppys) it come with a couple small fish which i put in my main tank,but have noticed a apple snail and lots of babies,do i remove these?.will the fry be ok in this tank? will these snails just keep multiplying and over run the baby tank...should i put in a couple assassin snails or leave all alone..many thanx guys

Leave the snails alone. They're fine with the fry.

kaz 03-14-2011 02:04 PM

Apple snails are different to normal snails. Most other snails are A sexual which means that they don't need a male and a female to multiply, however apple snails are different and require a male and a female.
Apple snail like Lupin said will not harm the fry they will be absoloutely fine. If you find you are getting too many apple snails I would imagine that there will be people who are willing to buy them off you, I would be happy to do so depending on where in the world you are from, I love apple snails I think they are great and really interesting, they are great at keeping the algae down in your tank too.

stevespurs 03-14-2011 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaz (Post 618038)
Apple snails are different to normal snails. Most other snails are A sexual which means that they don't need a male and a female to multiply, however apple snails are different and require a male and a female.
Apple snail like Lupin said will not harm the fry they will be absoloutely fine. If you find you are getting too many apple snails I would imagine that there will be people who are willing to buy them off you, I would be happy to do so depending on where in the world you are from, I love apple snails I think they are great and really interesting, they are great at keeping the algae down in your tank too.

hi kaz thanx for ur reply here is a pic of the apple snail ,or what i think is a apple snail..and iam from east london

kaz 03-14-2011 06:02 PM

Have to admit that I don't recognise that as an apple snail but that's not to say that it isn't. How big is it??

If it turns out that it is an apple snail and you do end up getting 'over run' with them, I will be happy to take some off your hands and will pay postage costs.

stevespurs 03-14-2011 06:20 PM

hi ive just been told that they are zebra nerite snails ,but it also seems that they dont seem to breed very easy ,so i may have intruders ,lol .
since i just got the tank (ebay) i cant find where the babies come from ...i hope they are zebra nerite snails as these seem to be tank friendly with plants and are mainly algae eaters....
thanks for ur reply ...

kaz 03-14-2011 06:21 PM

Cool, now that's a snail that I would love to have, will have to look for some of them.
Have accepted your friend request by the way

stevespurs 03-14-2011 06:24 PM

hi kaz ,well if they the babies turn out to be zebra nerite snails i will give u some....

kaz 03-14-2011 06:25 PM

That would be very kind of you thank you, I will be happy to pay postage for them as they would need to be sent special delivery and in a tub with moist kitchen paper.