Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   MUST READ! ALL MEMBERS please read BEFORE posting! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/must-read-all-members-please-read-652/)

Lupin 09-27-2006 07:27 PM

MUST READ! ALL MEMBERS please read BEFORE posting!

Hi fellow members,

When you create a new topic we will need to ask a number of questions about your situation so we can best determine how to help you. To speed up the process, we ask that you have the following information available at the time of your first post:

1. What is the size of your tank?

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.

Thanks and good luck!:)

fish_4_all 01-27-2008 10:13 PM

The roots of most Evils

When it comes to fish and the things we hate see with them, most often it comes down to the basics:
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates over 40ppm
Lack of water changes
GH, KH and/or pH not proper for the fishes needsUncycled tank
Stress from other fish

This is what always needs to be addressed in order to diagnose a problem with a fish. Once we can eliminate all of the above causes then and only then can we focus on treating a more specific disease like a swim bladder problem, infections or popeye. Sometimes it is too late once the major symptoms have come on but if we can catch the basics early enough then most times we can prevent the majors or at least have the situation in hand so the fish at least has a chance to survive the next stage of the problem.

herefishy 01-27-2008 10:26 PM

The best way to convey what you are trying to say, f4a, I think, is if you take care of the basics,practice patience, do your research, perform the maintainance, and use good common sense, you will be one step up in the game. Correct?

fish_4_all 01-29-2008 01:35 PM

Sounds about right Herefishy,

An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of treatment.

If your hand is burning it doesn't help to treat it until you take it out of the fire.

Don't blame the barista if you burn your tongue on hot cofee.

Throwing caution to the wind is just asking for a face full of sand in return.

And my Favorite:
If you have never jumped from a plane before how do you know if what you are wearing is actually a parachute?

Mirta 02-01-2008 04:29 PM

[
If you have never jumped from a plane before how do you know if what you are wearing is actually a parachute?[/quote]

You rely on somebody else's experience, I guess :?

studioskim3 03-29-2008 03:47 AM

I'm glad we have this forum. It helps me, a newbie to have somewhere to rely on... cuz sometimes, those at places that we think we can rely on (petco) aren't really helpful. :) thanks peeps!

bettababy 03-29-2008 12:21 PM

If I may contribute here...
I have noticed in the past that some people get angry because we have to tell them things they don't always want to hear. I ask that everyone please take a look at the position we're in. The best thing about this forum over all others is that people are up front and blunt, while not being rude or nasty to each other.

We assume that when someone comes here and asks questions that they want honest and true answers. Everyone here at FF works very hard to provide the most accurate answers possible. Please don't get angry with us if we offer advice you weren't prepared to hear or don't wish to deal with. There are many times when someone comes to us with a problem and we give an answer by stating the obvious. If a tank is overcrowded, it's overcrowded... and overcrowding causes many issues. We don't like to treat symptoms, we prefer to fix problems so the symptoms go away and don't come back. If there is a problem with something like overcrowding or mismatched fish, there is usually no way to fix it unless that basic is dealt with first. To coach someone through something against our own advice is not only dangerous, but very discouraging to those who give freely of their time to help. For this reason, please don't make demands on us to "fix" something while ignoring our own advice, and please don't ask us to ignore one problem and help treat another. That isn't usually possible and is a waste of everyone's time.

It gets very tedious to have to ask the same questions 100 times in a day because nobody has provided us with enough information to help. Answering our questions above is the fastest way to get help. We work hard and together to help save every animal we can... so everyone.... work with us, please!

As was already stated, if you spend the time to do it right the first time, you don't usually have to go through the stress and hassles of failing and then trying to do it a 2nd time.

There are a few things required by anyone who wishes to keep fish successfully:
Patience
Time
Work
Love

I added love to the list because many people don't understand that fish need attention just like any other animal. Most fish are very social animals if you take the time to get to know them. If you're taking the time for attention then you're always guaranteed the time for the work that needs to be done. There is no such thing as a pet who doesn't need care, and the species of animal will determine its care.

Sorry this was long winded but I thought this was the best place to add these comments. I don't wish to offend anyone. I only wish to make the job of those who work here easier and more pleasant, and the results for others will be more pleasant in return.

Flashygrrl 03-29-2008 04:49 PM

That was much needed, IMHO.

enthan 06-01-2008 10:45 AM

I am a new member here. I own betta about 8 months, during this few months i don`t even mix him with any fish. is it possible for me to mix him with other fish. because i thought to mix him with other fish. :D

GeegaFish 06-01-2008 12:57 PM

I thought that was very well said, Betta Baby! Kudos to you. 8)