Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Going crazy with this cloudy tank!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/going-crazy-cloudy-tank-65178/)

LasColinasCichlids 03-13-2011 06:26 PM

Going crazy with this cloudy tank!!!
 
Okay, I posted on this last month about my cloudy tank, tried all suggestions, and managed to get it partially clear for a day or so but it clouded back up and is driving me insane!!! It has been cloudy like this for like almost 2 months!!!

It is a 29 gallon, all water parameters are normal and have not altered as it is a well established and fully cycled tank. It is running with the Marineland Penguin 150B Bio Wheel filter, I have also added to it in the 2nd filter media space a bag of Fluval filter media made to trap extra phosphates, nitrate, and nitrites to help water stay safe and clear (not working for clearity).

So the cloudiness coloration is almost like a milky white when the light is on. The tank does have three live plants in it, one of them being mondo grass (which is new, added like 4 days ago and doing well).

So I have tried everything...
Water changes- Gave me a few hours of reduced clarity, and then went right back (did as much as a 50% WC)
Algae remover- just left me with a lot of work for my gravel vac.
Aqueon Water clearifier- did nothing
Phosphate Remover- worked great for the first dose, reduced cloudiness by like 50%...cloudiness came back.
Walmart water clearifier everyone brags about in the little yellow package- lifted a bit of the cloudiness, but not enough to make my tank clear again.
Fresh Carbon for the filter- nothing.

My thought was that maybe my filter in its entirety should be replaces with a better one? I would love to get a canister filter, but that is out of my price range. But I am not impressed with the bio wheel, and feel like my old HOB Power Filter was better.

Any ideas??!!!

Andarial 03-13-2011 06:31 PM

What are the water parameters for the ammonia?

LasColinasCichlids 03-13-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarial (Post 617398)
What are the water parameters for the ammonia?


They are too low to register on water tests, so below .02 ppm.

Andarial 03-13-2011 06:42 PM

Well that shouldn't be making your tank cloudy >< maybe it just is overloaded though I'm not quite sure how big your fish are in the tank because they don't sound like big fish >>

LasColinasCichlids 03-13-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarial (Post 617408)
Well that shouldn't be making your tank cloudy >< maybe it just is overloaded though I'm not quite sure how big your fish are in the tank because they don't sound like big fish >>


Yeah, all the fish in there are relatively small....if it helps, here is a run down of the fish and their current sizes...

4 habrosus cory: the largest is barly 1 inch, the smallest is close to half an inch (max full grown size is 1-1.4 inches)

4 albino cory: They have grown very fast! The largest is now just over one inch, and the smallest just under one inch (max full grown size is between 2-3 inches, closer to 2)

6 brilliant rasboras: The largest of the group is just over an inch long. (about 1.5 in full grown)

3 sunrise tequila guppies: They are all between 1 and 1.5 inches. (2 inches full grown)

3 fancy guppies: my oldest I have had for a while is probably just over an inch including his big fancy tail. The two younger ones are maybe an inch. (1.5 inches full grown)

balloon molly: he is about the size of a quarter (reading material says he can reach 3 inches, but I think he is pretty big as he is as he isnt the typical balloon, he was a hybrid and has the body deformities that a blood red parrot has, and I have had him for a while, long while, and he hasnt grown, I dont think he can).

lyretail molly: this guy is new, but he is about an inch and a half long. (Suppose to max out at 2-3 inches)

3 oto catfish: the largest is close to an inch, the other two are pretty small compared to the biggest. (Max size of 1.5-2 inches)

*Full grown sizes based on research regarding their maximum sizes they can possibly reach.

Any other ideas for the cloudiness???

Andarial 03-13-2011 07:22 PM

Not any clue coming from me ._. sorry, I'm battling myself with a cloudy tank but that's because mine just has too many big fish in it so they are getting rehomed

DeAnne 03-13-2011 07:24 PM

Filter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 617390)
Okay, I posted on this last month about my cloudy tank, tried all suggestions, and managed to get it partially clear for a day or so but it clouded back up and is driving me insane!!! It has been cloudy like this for like almost 2 months!!!

It is a 29 gallon, all water parameters are normal and have not altered as it is a well established and fully cycled tank. It is running with the Marineland Penguin 150B Bio Wheel filter, I have also added to it in the 2nd filter media space a bag of Fluval filter media made to trap extra phosphates, nitrate, and nitrites to help water stay safe and clear (not working for clearity).

So the cloudiness coloration is almost like a milky white when the light is on. The tank does have three live plants in it, one of them being mondo grass (which is new, added like 4 days ago and doing well).

So I have tried everything...
Water changes- Gave me a few hours of reduced clarity, and then went right back (did as much as a 50% WC)
Algae remover- just left me with a lot of work for my gravel vac.
Aqueon Water clearifier- did nothing
Phosphate Remover- worked great for the first dose, reduced cloudiness by like 50%...cloudiness came back.
Walmart water clearifier everyone brags about in the little yellow package- lifted a bit of the cloudiness, but not enough to make my tank clear again.
Fresh Carbon for the filter- nothing.

My thought was that maybe my filter in its entirety should be replaces with a better one? I would love to get a canister filter, but that is out of my price range. But I am not impressed with the bio wheel, and feel like my old HOB Power Filter was better.

Any ideas??!!!



I am wondering if it is the filter. I have the same filter in a 20 gallon tank & have the same problem you have. I have over 20 fish tanks & only one has the Marine land penguin. Was reading posts to see what others did for the cloudy water when I noticed you have the same filter that I do. I might change and see if that clears things up!

LasColinasCichlids 03-13-2011 07:24 PM

Thank you though, I appreciate all the brainstorming!!! Hope you can get a handle on your tank too...at least you know your issue.

Thanks again.

Andarial 03-13-2011 07:25 PM

Sure and good luck ^^ I will be keeping an eye on this thread and hoping for you

LasColinasCichlids 03-13-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeAnne (Post 617434)
I am wondering if it is the filter. I have the same filter in a 20 gallon tank & have the same problem you have. I have over 20 fish tanks & only one has the Marine land penguin. Was reading posts to see what others did for the cloudy water when I noticed you have the same filter that I do. I might change and see if that clears things up!


I was thinking, sadly, that the filter itself might be the issue!!!

And I thought the bio wheels were suppose to be great!!??!!

I guess on my next payday I will have to get a different filter all together. Any suggestions on great filters for a 29 gal tank that cost around $30 give or take??? I was thinking Aqua Clear, but am not familiar with them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2