Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   blue and gold gouramis in community tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/blue-gold-gouramis-community-tank-65082/)

viachinski 03-12-2011 03:51 PM

blue and gold gouramis in community tank

So I did plently of research and decided to get pearl gouramis for my community tank as they are the most peaceful and beautiful centerpiece fish in my opinion.
BUT when I got to the fish store there was only one left and I wanted 6 total... the store owner assured me that the gold and blue gouramis that the pearl was kept with were also very peaceful and they would all be fine.
Here is what I have in my tank now:
1x pearl gouramis
2x gold gouramis
2x blue gouramis
7x harlequin raspboras
7x rummynose tetra
6x emerald green cory
It's a 55gallon well planted tank with large rocks stacked to make hiding places...

Here's my question... Am I a sucker for listening to a store owner who just really wanted to sell me the blue/gold gouramis, or will they really be ok in the tank?
I am thinking about bringing them back next week and adding 5 pearl gouramis to join the one pearl in the tank.... but if anyone has kept gold/blue gouramis in a similar setting successfully I may just leave it the way it is (I will be getting one more pearl regardless so that he/she doesn't get lonely!)

Fire your opinions at me please!
Thanks,
Vicki

DKRST 03-12-2011 09:38 PM

Just an opinion based on my readings - I don't think your gourami combo is going to be peaceful as it currently sits. However, it may be a case of so many gouramis in one location that no one fish gets picked on? I don't know, but I think you'll be happier with the pearls alone.

jeaninel 03-13-2011 01:55 PM

Yeah, hate to say it but I think you were suckered.:-)

Gouramis are very territorial and the blue and gold variety are more aggressive then the Pearls (IME anyway). I would take the blue and golds back. If you want multiple Pearls I would suggest getting just one male and the rest female. Make sure you have plenty of tall/floating plants for cover for the females to hide in.

Byron 03-13-2011 02:00 PM

I agree. Return the blue and gold [these are actually the same species, its under Blue Gourami in our profiles, click on the shaded name to read about them] as they are bound to be trouble eventually.
Pearl Gourami alone will be fine (a group, as jeaninel suggested). Plants are good to provide refuge. More info in the profile.

Byron.

viachinski 03-16-2011 10:54 PM

thanks everyone.
I knew the answer all along, I just really didn't want to go back.
I hope they take them back from me, I think they have to... I was "suckered" into buying them!!