Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Electric Yellow Holding: Can see fry's eyes already, should I strip? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/electric-yellow-holding-can-see-frys-65045/)

hiimdavidchan 03-12-2011 05:57 AM

Electric Yellow Holding: Can see fry's eyes already, should I strip?

Hey everyone, as the title says I have an electric yellow that is holding fry I managed to separate her from the main 55 gallon tank already into a smaller 5 gallon tank. Looking into her mouth, I can already see the fry's eyes and I was wondering if that means that for sure I can strip them from her already. This is the first time any of my fish were holding fry since they are all only about 2 inches or less at the moment. Also im unsure how long she has been holding for as I didnt notice till 4-5 days ago. Also might it be better if i let her spit them out naturally or is it better to strip them? thank you all in advanced! Im very excited about this so I hope everything goes smoothly.

amberjade 03-12-2011 06:36 AM

Personally, I like to let nature do it's thing. So I would let her spit when she's ready. I guess it's all personal preference, really. Some people will strip the eggs and tumble them. I like watching animals natural behaviours. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

catdawg426 03-12-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiimdavidchan (Post 616055)
Hey everyone, as the title says I have an electric yellow that is holding fry I managed to separate her from the main 55 gallon tank already into a smaller 5 gallon tank. Looking into her mouth, I can already see the fry's eyes and I was wondering if that means that for sure I can strip them from her already. This is the first time any of my fish were holding fry since they are all only about 2 inches or less at the moment. Also im unsure how long she has been holding for as I didnt notice till 4-5 days ago. Also might it be better if i let her spit them out naturally or is it better to strip them? thank you all in advanced! Im very excited about this so I hope everything goes smoothly.

I'd let her spit them too, especially if you only noticed 4 days ago. But don't let her hold them too long, mine did and two were dead :(

hiimdavidchan 03-14-2011 08:27 AM

cool, ill let her do it naturally, she was perfectly fine in her 5 gallon tank but i went out and bought a breeder net for her to be back into her original 55 gallon tank and she now seems to lay on the plants sideways ot just stay in a vertical position, is there something wrong here? im kinda confused maybe I should put her back into the 5 gallon where she seemed to be perfectly normal

hiimdavidchan 03-14-2011 08:57 AM

the breeder net mesh is really fine and I dont think oxygen was getting into it possibly so i put in an airstone and she seems to be much better again

catdawg426 03-14-2011 10:46 AM

make sure you put gravel on the bottom! Trust me, if you have cichlids in that tank they WILL eat the fry through the net! They killed one of mine before I was able to get it under control! Just put some gravel on the bottom before she spits them out.