Possible Ich but can't get a good camera shot
Ok I will try to be as explanatory as possible since my camera is suckish and won't let me take pictures of it that close. The issue I am having is with one of my rainbows (again) She is a Cairns rainbow fish and has what looks like to be white sparkles, or white flecks all over her fins and a few on her body (i think) here is the diagnosis form.
1. Size of tank? 25 gallons taller
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0.25 (sadly yes and I am also trying to figure out that too)
c. Nitrate? 80 ppm (testing tap water tonight to see if this is the cause)
d. pH, KH and GH? 7.2-7.6 (don't know what the other two mean)
e. Test kit? API Master Kit
3. Temperature?79 degrees
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? Freshwater
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? ummm almost a year now I think
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
I have two Rainbow fish, just lost one; One high-fin pleco who is 6 inches; Four male guppies; a striped peacock eel; and a green spotted puffer fish (who will be re-homed sometime soon I think); one red claw crab... I just got the GSP but mom won't let me keep her we are going to try to get a dwarf puffer instead
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?Not the rainbows (just learned about quarantine periods)
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? I have one live plant a java fern
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? small gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? I have a small piece of mopani wood and several hollow caves and pirate themed plastic decor >> I think its plastic at least
9. a. Filtration? Aquaeon Quiet Flow 20
b. Heater? Top Fin only one
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?FloraSun 5,000k no light schedule
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?not really
11. a. Water change schedule? Once a week
b. Volume of water changed? 30-50%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap Water
d. Water conditioner used? Prime
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Each water change
12. Foods? They get frozen brine shrimp once a day, flakes two times a day (TetraMin), Algae Wafers and crab pellets
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? White flecks on fins and body and lip
b. Appearance of poop?normal
c. Appearance of gills? normal
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? no
b. What meds were used? none
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary. I have none T.T
I'm really worried about the fact if my fish would be able to handle the high heat and salt for the treatment of ich?
This may not be much help for you, but have you considered looking into getting a UV filter/pump? I am paranoid about ich and other bacterial infections or organisms and use the filter 1x/week for a day to try and destroy anything harmful in the water. I got mine for $40 dollars which is worth it if it helps keep my clown loaches happy :D The ich bacteria/protozoan/microscopic thingy has several stages in it's life cycle and the UV filter helps kill the free floating and more vulnerable stage.
Best of luck with your fishies.
I've never heard of a UV filter o.O I tried coppersafe, when should it start working anyone know?
Ok now the guppies in my tank have fin rot I think >> they're fins are disappearing an there are angry reddish white blemishes on the ends treated with melafix and pimafix as lfs suggested I know I probably shouldn't have taken their advice but I'm desperate
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.