Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Tank Placement in Home (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/tank-placement-home-64995/)

DisneyCoralReef 03-11-2011 02:08 PM

Tank Placement in Home

We are in the process of making an offer on our new place, and I have some ideas of where our brand new 75g is going to go, but I wanted to know, what are things I should consider when figuring out WHERE to place the tank. We are located in southern Alberta, so our outdoor temperatures can easily go down to -45 during the winter and no more than 30-31 celcius during the summer(if it actually gets that high). I am assuming a wall near a window would probably not be a good idea?

Any more advice, things to look for, or things to think about/look into. Any advice or things you learned as you set yours up, things you wished you had known when you set your tank up?

GwenInNM 03-11-2011 05:50 PM

tank placement

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyCoralReef (Post 615581)
We are in the process of making an offer on our new place, and I have some ideas of where our brand new 75g is going to go, but I wanted to know, what are things I should consider when figuring out WHERE to place the tank. We are located in southern Alberta, so our outdoor temperatures can easily go down to -45 during the winter and no more than 30-31 celcius during the summer(if it actually gets that high). I am assuming a wall near a window would probably not be a good idea?

Any more advice, things to look for, or things to think about/look into. Any advice or things you learned as you set yours up, things you wished you had known when you set your tank up?

Here's something I'm considering now that I'm soon to upgrade to a larger tank. Don't know if this will apply to you, or help, but . . . I want to use a python hose or similar product to do water changes, and I'm keeping my tank within 25' of the sink I want to use. Beyond things to consider such as, do you want your tank to get natural sun, and/or near windows that may put out lots of cold, I think anywhere that a tank is visible and can add to a room is great. Enjoy your new house!

Gwen

reefsahoy 03-11-2011 09:08 PM

think about carrying water to/from tank for water change and if you will ever put an auto topoff you want to be able to reach the faucet and sink. sun light is a nono here because if you cannot control the amount of light, you may get algae bloom and not be able to control it if you can't block the sun. a window is good because you can syphon outside. you could also build a auto overflow so when adding new water the tank overflows through a pipe to the outside world making carrying buckets a thing of the pass (that will be a requirement on my next tank). you gotta obviously be near an electrical outlet too.