Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   10 Gal Ideas anyone? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/10-gal-ideas-anyone-6489/)

Matty_808 06-15-2007 12:46 AM

10 Gal Ideas anyone?

I have a 10 gallon right now....its been cycling for about 1 month now i have some little red tetra i got by mistake form a friend and 4 ghost shrimp with one being pregnant.....what should i do for my tank?

Lupin 06-15-2007 01:02 AM

Welcome to the forum.

What are your water parameters? More details will help us know what exactly is the problem. The time cycling ends varies so you just have to be patient about it.

MattD 06-15-2007 06:44 AM

lol

abcdefghi 06-15-2007 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattD
lol

A helpful response if ever I have seen one............ :roll:

Matty_808 you have not said exactly what your problem is, are your fish/shrimp dying? are they looking healthy? as Lupin asked, what are your water parameters etc........... you have not really provided enough information for anyone to answer your (somewhat vague) question.

"what should i do for my tank?" can be answered any number of ways, one such example could be ........... that you could take your tank out for dinner and a movie :-p You need to be more specific about what you want/what your problem is.

Matty_808 06-15-2007 10:20 AM

oh very sorry for the mix up....i was wanting to get an idea for maybe a few fish to add.....my parameters are all fine.......no sign of any trouble.....just wanting to know what kind of fish would be great for a 10 gallon.....sorry for the mix up everyone.......im still kinda new to writing on a forum....this is my very first forum im really into talking and asking questions :?

Andyandsue 06-15-2007 10:59 AM

For some reason, I understood exactly what you meant and was confused by the other replies! :)

Since 10 gallon is considered small, I would stick with fish that stay small like the tetra you already have. You could get 5 more tetras , and they would exhibit schooling which is fun to watch. Of course it depends on exactly what type of tetra it is if 6 will fit ...

Golden white clouds and zebra danios do well in a 10 gallon. Or you could do a betta and a couple tetras, but you'd have to watch what type of tetras you mix with a betta.

Matty_808 06-15-2007 04:00 PM

yea that sounds like a good tank a few tetras and 1 betta....ill look into which ones go good...thx :)

MattD 06-15-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abcdefghi
Quote:

lol

A helpful response if ever I have seen one............ :roll:

IS IT REALLY?! I don't think your implication that he wants to, or could, take his tank out to dinner did him real well either, pal. So thanks for comin' out. :roll:

Anyways, be careful when you put Tetras with long-finned fish, especially a Betta. Bettas aren't exactly quick swimmers, and the Tetras could have a field day on his fins and he wouldn't have anywhere to hide or go. Try putting the Betta in first, before adding other tetras.

And I'm telling you, your little red guy is NOT a tetra. If you posted pics these guys would tell you the same thing. He has very small barbels, it's a baby something else (I'm sure someone on this forum could ID him).

leifthebunny 06-15-2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Anyways, be careful when you put Tetras with long-finned fish, especially a Betta. Bettas aren't exactly quick swimmers, and the Tetras could have a field day on his fins and he wouldn't have anywhere to hide or go. Try putting the Betta in first, before adding other tetras.

Most of the torpedo shaped tetras aren't too bad with other fish. I've got cardinal, black neon, glowlight, ... in my community tank and they all keep to themselves outside of the flame tetras. The deep bodied ones such as the Serpae are the ones known for being nippy. Currently I have penguins in with a crown betta and they keep to themselves and the danios. Though in that tank, I think the betta's more scared of the other fish than the other way around. :P