Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Whats good about Neons and Cherrys? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/whats-good-about-neons-cherrys-64844/)

CodyL1121 03-09-2011 03:59 PM

Whats good about Neons and Cherrys?

I see a lot of people on here and in the pet store talk about how cool Neon's and Cherry Barbs are. Am I different? For some reason, I'd rather have a little bit bigger fish like a Platy or Tetra. Why are Neons and Cherry's so cool? Just wanted to know...I mean neons look cool, but their like minnows :/ Does anyone have any?

Andarial 03-09-2011 04:02 PM

neon's are tetras but anyways, I think they just like them for their color and size so you can have a bunch at once and not go over the tank limit. Personally they don't hae much appeal to me I like my guppies cause each one looks different and my puffers

Calmwaters 03-09-2011 04:30 PM

I love my neons because in a group swimming together they look very pretty. I have blue neons as well as black neons and they both look very nice.

julem35 03-09-2011 09:46 PM

My neons have ao much spunk!! I love them to pieces

1077 03-10-2011 01:08 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I have always like the neons and cherry barbs since I was a child.
Neons used to be, a very hardy fish year's ago not so much nowday's,, due to mass production with no new blood added to strengthen strains, and too much use of antibiotics which fishes develop immunities to.
If you are keeping your neon's healthy, and they aren't getting sick,dying,,you are doing well in my opinion.

Doctacosa 03-10-2011 10:52 AM

There's the fun of having many of those in a tank without overloading it too much, as Andarial said. I went that way for my first aquarium as I wanted to see lots of movement, and adding several small specimens instead of a few big ones felt like the correct way to get that result... and I believe that I've been right so far. :-)

LasColinasCichlids 03-14-2011 11:37 PM

I too use to not be a big neon tetra fan. But recently got a small school of 5 tiny neons, just to add color and because it was the safest option to house with my male betta (and frog and oto). And now, I am in LOVE with these adorible little fishies!!! There are so cute and full of comical antics. Like this evening when I fed my tanks, I always put in freeze-dried bloodworms (in both tanks)...well, one of the neons grabbed the biggest bloodworm he could find, and was trying to eat it. He could only take tiny nibbles of it, and everytime it would get loose from his mouth, he would swim super fast to grab it again to keep nibbling. lol I guess you had to have seen it, but it was so cute and funny. And their colors, when healthy and happy, are amazingly beautiful!!!

And neons arent nippy like a lot of other tetras. And they can be housed with a lot of different fish safely. They arent the issue, usually its bigger fish who find them to be food.

As far as cherry barbs go, I havent kept them, yet. However, I think the albino cherry barbs are just too pretty...and cherry barbs are pretty in general when they have the beautiful deep red coloring, which I think is when they are spawning...not sure on that though, might be something else that makes it deepen at times, but you get the idea. lol.

cmc29 03-15-2011 12:03 AM

i've always had better luck with cardinal tetras than i have with neon tetras, their colors seem to be richer also, plus they get a little bigger.