Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Interesting New Use for Melafix (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/interesting-new-use-melafix-6484/)

Andyandsue 06-14-2007 09:14 PM

Interesting New Use for Melafix

If you have an acrylic tank (I haven't tried it on glass), put a very small amount of Melafix on a paper towel and wipe off the outside of your aquarium. Watch how beautiful it leaves the "glass"! Tea tree oil by nature is an excellent grease remover, etc. and dries with no smears. You only need a little.

It looks clean and clear! I've found that it makes the tank less susceptible to little finger prints, and leaves my kitchen smelling nice (I happen to like the smell).

leifthebunny 06-14-2007 09:47 PM

Hmm, any residual problems with the oil going bad like cooking oil?

Andyandsue 06-14-2007 09:50 PM

Nope. It air dries on the tank, and after a few days I don't notice any residue. I use it once a week as a "finishing touch" when I'm done with the water change/gravel vac (or if company is coming :wink: ).

leifthebunny 06-14-2007 09:56 PM

Sweet. Where I live, it's really dry so I'm sure it would evaporate nicely. :)

Andyandsue 06-14-2007 10:35 PM

It's very cool, and I found it by accident. I got some Melafix on a paper towel but didn't know it, then wiped the outside of the tank and couldn't believe my eyes. I figured it out and I've been doing it for the last month.

Mr.Todd 06-15-2007 01:23 AM

Wow, that's pretty resourceful... I will give it a try this week! :D :D

Amphitrite 06-15-2007 03:02 AM

Excellent tip Susan - thanks! I'll definitely be giving that a go :)

mHeinitz57 06-15-2007 08:15 AM

ahhhh, I'm glad someone brought that up! When I was working for a fish store in the LA area a customer tipped us off to the melafix idea. We started ordering it and mixing it with water in a spray bottle and we would wipe down all of our tanks with that. It does a great job at preventing streaks but it also gets rid of hard water buildup easily.

Andyandsue 06-15-2007 08:37 AM

So I guess it works on glass too then. I did notice that on the bottle it says that it "contains a chemical known to cause cancer in the state of CA". I always found those statements funny, but I really thought it was a completely natural product, and people use tea tree oil on their body! I'm sure that if you dose anything up to 1000x the normal and use it daily for 6 months, you'll end up with cancer from it, whatever it is.

mHeinitz57 06-15-2007 09:09 AM

lol, yeah i'm not sure why it would cause cancer in just CA. Good thing I moved to wisconsin...i'm safe now :-)