Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   canister filters (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/canister-filters-64801/)

rhessling 03-09-2011 06:47 AM

canister filters

im looking at buying a 75 gal or bigger tank but i know nothing about canister filters or what kind of medium to put in them in getting the tank for chiclids if that makes a diffrence there is a 100 gallon for 600 at my local trift store and it looks like its has another tank underneith a wet dry filter with the canister i not really sure what it is

SGDude 03-09-2011 08:58 AM

Eheim classic 2217 is a really good one and comes with media.
( It's $159 at petsmart online. )

xdaCostax 03-09-2011 09:58 AM

Ehiem 2217 is $199.99 here in Canada, Iam in the same bubble as you, I havent decided in which canister filter for my 75 gallon. Either that or the Rena XP3, I hear that Ehiem build there filters very well but I also hear alot of decent things about the XP3.
I think Ill be going with the XP3 tho.

stevenjohn21 03-09-2011 10:37 AM

XP-3 all the way :-)

100 Gallon Tank for $600 ? Holy Moly !!! i would see what your local craigslist is offering, i just recently got a 125 gallon tank for $75.00 which came with a Magnum 350 Pro Canister filter (which i sold for $40)

Grimmjow 03-09-2011 10:37 AM

Ehiem, I had a rena leak quite a bit of water from my 75 so I dont trust them.

Only problem with ehiem is their instructions. And what I did like about the xp2 or 3 was the media was in baskets.

stevenjohn21 03-09-2011 10:44 AM

Where did it leak from ? The unit or pipe connection ?

DKRST 03-09-2011 11:01 AM

I have an Eheim 2215 on a 55 gallon. Works well, but you'd probably need larger. One design flaw in the Eheim "classic" line is the inflow elbow. The inflow line can put some torque on the elbow connection, I just secured my inflow line to the canister with a large zip tie = no more torque on the elbow. I do keep the filter in a 2 gallon bucket in case of a leak (haven't had one yet). Leaks are like computer hard drive crashes, eventually, they will happen!

Grimmjow 03-09-2011 11:09 AM

Leaked where the power cord come out.

Byron 03-09-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdaCostax (Post 613666)
Ehiem 2217 is $199.99 here in Canada, Iam in the same bubble as you, I havent decided in which canister filter for my 75 gallon. Either that or the Rena XP3, I hear that Ehiem build there filters very well but I also hear alot of decent things about the XP3.
I think Ill be going with the XP3 tho.

I'll just toss in a comment or two, since I have both filters (on different tanks).

My Eheim have run for more than 15 years now, non-stop, with never a problem, nothing. They are very well made, and Eheim has been around long enough that they have a proven track record as very dependable, efficient and reliable. Considering the thousands of Eheims that have been made all over Europe and NA, this is significant.

Rena are relatively new on the market. Thus, their longevity is an unknown. I have had reputable aquarist/store people mention that from the way they are built they will not stand up to Eheim long-term. I've no knowledge with technical matters, so I can't say I agree or not, but given the cost is 1/3 to 1/2 less I would be inclined to suspect they may not be as high-end as Eheim; if Eheim lasts 20 years and Rena should turn out to last 6-10 years, there is not much of a savings over the long term. This as I say is an unknown.

My XP3 on my 115g is running fine, I've had it for just over 20 months now. It does a super job of catching debris from the water; I have to rinse the pads every 6-8 weeks or the water flow rate slows down very noticeably due to the gunk in the pads. My Eheims on similar tanks last 3-4 months between rinsings. All my tanks look clear, so I am assuming it may just be the extra load in the 115g that requires more frequent rinsing of the filter (the Rena is on this tank).

Byron.

Romad 03-10-2011 07:51 AM

I have the Rena XP3 on my 75 gal. and I love it!