Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   My first serious aquarium - 20g (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/my-first-serious-aquarium-20g-64682/)

Doctacosa 03-07-2011 09:13 PM

My first serious aquarium - 20g

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone! I'm new here, about to post in the newbie forum in a few minutes.

Having moved last summer, I decided that I wanted in my new home some sort of water element, as I love water decorations. After a bit of thinking, I figured that an aquarium would be the best way to get some active water on display while adding a bit of life in this place with colorful fishes!

After three months of work, I've reached the result displayed in the attached picture. It's a 20 gallons tank. The full details tank are available on it's dedicated page. Comments are welcome, I'm a fan of constructive feedback. :-)

gingerael 03-07-2011 09:17 PM

LOVE the rummynose! they have always been one of my fav's but when we set up my husband's 29gal he wanted the black skirts (which I like but there are others I like better)

Blabomb 03-07-2011 09:20 PM

Nice tank! And welcome to the forums :)

Serpaeman 03-07-2011 11:06 PM

very nice tank mate. looks really good.

Doctacosa 03-07-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerael (Post 612394)
LOVE the rummynose!

I've got to agree with you on this! I originally picked them because they looked like such an odd mix of fish parts (A white fish! With a red head! And a zebra tail!), but they quickly became my favorite because of how active they are. They're pretty much always schooling and swimming together from one side of the tank to the other, and they're not afraid to do it on the front where they're the most visible.

Plumkin 03-07-2011 11:30 PM

great tank , what is the plant in the far back right cornor got big red leafs?

cornflakegirl 03-08-2011 03:57 AM

Nice tank! i wish i used light coloured stones in mine now. poo.

Romad 03-08-2011 04:45 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

Beware of the addiction - especially with the bettas. I started with one and am up to 6 and am constantly looking for more tank space :)

Doctacosa 03-08-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plumkin (Post 612557)
great tank , what is the plant in the far back right cornor got big red leafs?

That's a red tiger lotus. It's a bit fragile, but I like the color contrast with the other plants. I'm planning to add one or two of these, my fishes value the cover it's leaves provide whenever I have to do some maintenance in the water!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 612692)
Beware of the addiction - especially with the bettas. I started with one and am up to 6 and am constantly looking for more tank space :)

Don't tell me about it, I'm thinking about putting a small tank with a betta in my bedroom so it doesn't look as barren!

Calmwaters 03-08-2011 07:47 PM

You should raise the water level to the bottom of the filter because with the water falling and breaking the surface it will cause the CO2 that the plants need to thrive escape. Other than that it is a beautiful tank. I love the red lotus I recently added a small one to my 20 gallon long tank.