Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   stocking help - 55 gal (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/stocking-help-55-gal-64597/)

rnsheehan21 03-06-2011 11:13 PM

stocking help - 55 gal

I'm working on a 55 gal malawi cichild setup and am looking to use 3 of the following species in the stocking of my tank.....just wanted to see if anyone has had experience keeping these fish together. i have other interests but these are the only ones i have found readily available at my local fish stores.

rusty cichlid -Iodotropheus sprengerae
colbalt blue cichild
yellow lab - Labidochromis caeruleus
yellow tail acei -Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"

also if anyone knows what kind of rocks are found in lake Malawi that would be helpful too....i think its granite

gingerael 03-07-2011 09:25 AM

not sure on the rocks but I've had luck housing the yellow labs with the yellow tails. not sure about the other species since I have never owned any!

bearwithfish 03-07-2011 12:46 PM

i would drop the rusty and do the others

rnsheehan21 03-07-2011 08:25 PM

thanks guys....any particular reason to leave out the rustys

bearwithfish 03-07-2011 08:44 PM

with a 55 mbuna tank (from all the research i have done) 4 species would be hard to keep but 3 is doable if kept in the right numbers.. that said the rusty's are the most aggressive of the 4 you posted so i considered them the first to drop due to the numbers required to keep them happy and not killing each other and others in the tank.... thats all just an opinion nothing more....

Blabomb 03-07-2011 09:39 PM

I think the above advice is pretty good. The yellow labs are fairly passive cichlids and the aggressiveness of the rustys may overrun your tank.

rnsheehan21 03-07-2011 10:02 PM

really?..... ok now i'm confused cause in my research i have found the rusty's to be the least aggressive....i appreciate the help but maybe there is a mix up with the common name cause thats the first i'v heard of them being aggressive ....... has anyone actually had rusty's?...cause i know that sometimes information doesn't always lead up to the character of the fish......

this is some of the stuff i have found

Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum
Fish Profile for Lavender Mbuna, Rusty Cichlid (Iodotropheus sprengerae)

rnsheehan21 03-07-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blabomb (Post 612432)
I think the above advice is pretty good. The yellow labs are fairly passive cichlids and the aggressiveness of the rustys may overrun your tank.

yeah your right about the yellow labs.....they are passive, these i have kept in the past with red zebras and they did very well together

bearwithfish 03-08-2011 07:41 AM

ahh see this is why i hate common names so much LOL while i can not always remember the scientific name it helps when i am looking things up....

ok so this breed would do well for you but again considering numbers alone i would personally not do more than 3 species in a 55.....if i was to look at the three you have listed i would probably stay with my original suggestion just out of color contrast as they are all fairly calm and mild in aggressiveness.