Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   question about dwarf swords (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/question-about-dwarf-swords-64555/)

Salix 03-06-2011 06:21 PM

question about dwarf swords

I've been thinking about getting a dwarf sword for my ten gallon betta tank. At the moment all I have are Wisteria and I want a little more variety. I read the profile and on this website and I have a question about the lighting. I have two 10 watt bulbs, will that be too much light or just enough?

redchigh 03-07-2011 11:56 AM

If you mean you have 2 10-watt compact flourescent bulbs of the proper spectrum, then you should be fine. That's what I use over my show tank (10 gallon).

Most of my plants do awesomely in that tank.

What do you mean dwarf sword? You mean grass-like swords, or swords like Echinodorus Parviflorus, E. Blehirae Compacta?

For grass-like plants, dwarf sag seems to be the best.... I can't get the chain swords to grow at all...

Salix 03-07-2011 12:26 PM

I'm not sure if they're the proper spectrum. They were the only ones I can find. But yeah, I have two compact 10 watt bulbs, one on each side of the tank, and the only plants I've had that haven't done well in that tank was the pennywort. I had a really bad outbreak of diatoms and it murdered my pennywort and some of my wisteria. I'm finally getting it under control now, I even had to move my zebra nerite snail to a different tank that still has the algae because he wasn't getting enough to eat.

The dwarf sword I was referring to is Echinodorus parviflorus. I've never seen it in the chain pet stores (petsmart, petco, etc), but I go to a little family owned pet store about thirty minutes from my house and I'm 90% sure they'll order it for me if I ask. They did with the pennywort but I have a feeling that's a little more available than Echinodorus parviflorus, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

redchigh 03-07-2011 03:36 PM

a Parviflora can actually get quite big. Some people put 3 in a 20 gallon, and eventually they fill the while back.

I would suggest E. Blehiri (or E. Blehirae), but make sure you find the 'Compacta' version. The normal ones get huge, but I've had a blehiri compacta in a 10 for quite a while.

Salix 03-07-2011 03:49 PM

Ok, I'll try to find that. Would an Anubias work in this tank? I'm not sure if the light is going to be too much or something. I bought one and put it in my 45 gallon that has a 17 watt (I can't remember the kelvin). They're a neat little plant and I would like one, but I've heard that they don't do well in bright lighting and you need a floating plant or something to cut down on the brightness.

Aqua Jon 03-07-2011 05:16 PM

The anubias do alright and will grow quickly in bright light, but my experience is that they become an algae gathering point. The leaves will just become covered in thick plots of algae. And I can second having an E. Blerhi Compact in a 10g. Just got one and it put out 2-3 leaves a week. It hasnt grown in height more than 10 inches, but it does grow outward a bit. It could easily take up a third of the tank. I hope it does :-) Just plan for low light plants beneath it as it expands in diameter.

Byron 03-07-2011 05:26 PM

The wild Echinodorus parviflorus get large, but the one in our profiles is the variant "Tropica" that does not, hence I called it Dwarf Sword for the common name. This is the plant most usually seen, the original is very rare. I have had several of these plants (Tropica variant) for years, they are gems, being much darker green with crinkly leaves, and small, thus ideal foreground plants in Amazonian tanks but well suited to any 5g, 10g, and up. I have one in my 20g and it is actually doing better than the ones in the two Amazon tanks, probably due to more light. Two 10w GE Daylight 6500K bulbs work fine.

In your scenario, Salix, I would go with the Dwarf Sword rather than Anubias.

Salix 03-07-2011 07:10 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted on how the plant hunting goes. I won't be able to get anything for a couple of weeks. I just purchased some more Wisteria for my tanks on Sunday and so far so good. I have no idea what went wrong with the Pennywort so I don't think I'm going to try any of that for a while. Maybe in my 45 since my plants seem to be doing better in there. If only I could get my fish to quit picking at them...