Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   i want them big and healthy! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/i-want-them-big-healthy-64502/)

LOUIE ACES 03-06-2011 01:23 PM

i want them big and healthy!

hey professionals, i was wondering how often i should be doing water changes and gravel vacs to make sure my water quality is as close to perfect for my cichlids to be healthy. I have a 75G with 21 fish and right now i'm doing weekly 25G water changes and vacuuming the gravel every time. first off, i'm already aware that my tank is kinda overstocked or at least might not be now but will be in the near future. i'm currently saving up for a bigger tank, hopefully a 150-200 gallon tank within the next 6 months.

my tankmates include the following:
1 X 6-7" jaguar
1 X 5-6" green terror
2 X 5" oscars, 1 tiger and 1 albino tiger
1 X 3" jack dempsey
2 X 1-2" convicts
4 X 1-2" salvini's
1 X 3-4" blood jewel
1 X 3-4" firemouth
3 X 1-3" red terrors
3 X 1-3" flowerhorns
1 X 6-7" polypterus
1 X 6-7" common pleco

i am a seasoned aquarium hobbiest and have not had any deaths with my fish in many months. comments welcome from all other knowledgable aquarium hobbiests. please tell me straight up without being a jerk what i need to do and how soon i need to do it so that i may further my knowledge and keep my fish living long and healthy lives. rude comments from rookies or people that don't know what they're talking about will be deleted. thanks all

stevenjohn21 03-06-2011 01:44 PM

I think 25 gallon a week should be ok, depending on the size of your fish Juvies or fully grown adults ?
Also what filter(s) are you running in the tank ?

jeaninel 03-06-2011 01:57 PM

I would do at least 50% weekly and would be looking for that 200 gallon tank asap.

I would love to see pics of your fish. Do you have any you could post?

aunt kymmie 03-06-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 610743)
I would do at least 50% weekly and would be looking for that 200 gallon tank asap.

I would love to see pics of your fish. Do you have any you could post?

Agree with doing 50% weekly. Keep scouting craigslist as you should be able to find a killer deal on a 200. Would also LOVE to see pics of your fish! :-)

leogtr 03-06-2011 02:29 PM

I like to do 50% water changes daily when I can just to make sure my little fishy friends are at TIP-TOP of their well-being:thumbsup:

aunt kymmie 03-06-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leogtr (Post 610783)
I like to do 50% water changes daily when I can just to make sure my little fishy friends are at TIP-TOP of their well-being:thumbsup:

Daily?? I don't even do that for my discus tank, lol.

LOUIE ACES 03-06-2011 03:05 PM

i'm running an aquaclear 110 right now. pictures and video don't do the tank justice because the cover is plexiglass so the light doesn't shine through that good. my main concern is that they look healthy, no deaths, no odd behaviors, but their colors just aren't as bright as i've seen other fish of the same kind. i feed them tetracichlid crisps and hikari mini pellets and once a week a mix of beef heart and bloodworms. also, the fish that were in the LFS when i bought mine and are still there are much bigger then the ones i have...how are they growing faster then mine? i know my tanks are cleaner and better kept then the damn pet store.

leogtr 03-06-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOUIE ACES (Post 610822)
i'm running an aquaclear 110 right now. pictures and video don't do the tank justice because the cover is plexiglass so the light doesn't shine through that good. my main concern is that they look healthy, no deaths, no odd behaviors, but their colors just aren't as bright as i've seen other fish of the same kind. i feed them tetracichlid crisps and hikari mini pellets and once a week a mix of beef heart and bloodworms. also, the fish that were in the LFS when i bought mine and are still there are much bigger then the ones i have...how are they growing faster then mine? i know my tanks are cleaner and better kept then the damn pet store.

I kno right?? I too really really want to know how to make my fishy friends really colorful and healthy:|

maybe I'll start a thread about bringing out the colors of our fish..

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 03-06-2011 04:27 PM

definitely get a 200 or bigger. way overstocked. A single Red terror should be kept in a 75 when full grown. I would also like to see some pictures.

gingerael 03-06-2011 05:57 PM

the only thing I noticed that hasn't been mentioned yet is that you only have ONE dempsey. They tend to do better in pairs at least. The bigger the group the less likely it will be that they destroy your other fish.