Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Need Stocking Suggestions for a 20 Gallon

11K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Christople 
#1 ·
Hello, everyone! I have a 20 gallon aquarium that I have been trying to decide how to stock. Here are some things I have to consider:

1. I already have gravel for the tank, so I don't want to get fish that require sand.
2. The water here is very hard and alkaline (pH around 8.0-8.2, I have had a bad time keeping many of the tetra species, and I want to get fish that will do fine in this water)
3. The tank is not the "long" kind, it is 24 inches across the front

Some preferences:
1. I want to have a good variety and distribution of fish throughout the aquarium (top, middle, and bottom dwellers)
2. I like bettas, so a combination involving a betta (male or female) would be good, however that does limit my choices so I want to consider other combinations as well. One stocking I've heard of is a betta, a school of harlequin rasboras, and some kind of bottom-dweller. However, I've read conflicting information about keeping harlequins in hard alkaline water. I also know keeping bettas with tankmates is risky, so I want to consider non-betta combinations as well.
3. If I have any kind of livebearers, I want a single-sex school because I don't want to deal with a bunch of fry all the time, regardless of whether they all get eaten.
4. I want this to be a peaceful tank with hardy fish species.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads all this and gives suggestions!

See less See more
#4 ·
I love african dwarf frogs. They get along just fine with my betta. I have gravel substrate too and a 20 g. I also have a school of cardinal tetras. Everyone coexists very peacefully.

The frogs are very active later in the day and are pretty hardy and cope with a fair range of water parameters. I feed them sinking frog pellets or bloodworms. The only thing you have to be careful with is that your other fish don't get the frogs' food before they do. My betta and my tetra don't mess with the frog pellets so I tend to stick with those for the ADFs now.

#6 ·
I wasn't suggesting cardinals for Moldau's tank, just the ADFs. Also it can be tricky when dealing with a betta. I had frogs first and then added the betta. For the first few hours, as he got used to the tank, the betta did take a few nips at the frogs' legs. Honestly, I think he'd never seen them before and perhaps thought they were worms. Once he realized his mistake, he's never bothered them again. In fact, sometimes my frogs will accidentally bump into the betta on their way to the surface and the betta doesn't seem to mind at all.

#8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

@gingerael, I like cories, they seem like fun fish to have, but I have often heard that you should have a sand bottom tank to keep them. Also, I thought they were more soft water/neutral pH fish.

@PRichs87, Out of curiosity, is there any reason why you suggest swordtails in particular? I've never actually known the difference between swordtails and platies, other than the tails.

#13 ·
yes you would be fine

#12 ·
Just females is usually the route people go, if you are keeping one sex. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want them to breed, you could sell their fry on craigslist when they are a decent size to people.

As with most species of fish, the males are the more colorful, just a thought.

I'm trying to get my GBRs to breed right now, they used to lay eggs every week, but since I changed my layout they don't. I'll have to start buying live blackworms again.

#14 ·
You could also do a group of female bettas. As long as you have 5 or more they are fine together and they come in lot of different colors just like the males only with out the long flowing tails. I have 5 females in one of my 10 gallons and in a 20 I would think you could easily do 10-12.

#15 ·
I was thinking shell dwellers... those are cool fish

#18 ·
Well for the top, I'd say the best would be guppies, they too like hard water. For the bottom two cool "oddball" choices would be African Dwarf Frogs or Upside Down Catfish. And if you ever decide to get a big tank in the future you might want to try African Cichlids, since those water parameters are perfect for them(just wanted to throw that out there.)

#17 ·
okay well goodluck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.