Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   One species of my fish keeps getting sick!!!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/one-species-my-fish-keeps-getting-64482/)

catdawg426 03-05-2011 11:41 PM

One species of my fish keeps getting sick!!!!!

Sorry I've been posting a ton on here lately but I'm so confused! My 2nd elongatus kanchedza died today, from that same weird mouth stuff. I had been on my 5th day of treating with Maracyn Plus too! These are the fish who got ick (survived) too. Now two have died from what I thought was mouth fungus, but I'm starting to wonder. There is something going on with the mouth, but it's not really cottony. They tend to like turn their mouth inside out and try to spit out, while in their throat it looks like they're holding. They open and close their mouth like they are holding too. When it gets bad, they will spit out food and hide and swim back and forth strangely. And all this time my electric yellows and mainganos have been fine :dunno: .
I'm starting to think something's messed up with the bloodline or something??? I emailed the guy I bought them from and he said he's never had problems with them :evil: .
Thanks for your help,
-Ian

SeaHorse 03-06-2011 11:54 AM

Try to find Lupin in the chat room. if you are in the USA, he is 13 hours ahead of you in time. But you can chat with him on deseases. so 9 - 10 at night in NA would be day time for him. good luck. Lupin is so smart!!

Lupin 03-07-2011 05:36 AM

Could you get a video of them jerking their mouths? I may have an idea on this one. Hmmm...I'd get the video anyway and then try to see if their gills are still red or have anything unusual. If you can fish out one of the sick fish, carefully open the mouth and find out if you see anything unusual inside it.

catdawg426 03-07-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 611591)
Could you get a video of them jerking their mouths? I may have an idea on this one. Hmmm...I'd get the video anyway and then try to see if their gills are still red or have anything unusual. If you can fish out one of the sick fish, carefully open the mouth and find out if you see anything unusual inside it.

I'll try to get a video, my light went out yesterday (great timing), I'll have to pick one up this morning ;-)

catdawg426 03-07-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

just got a new light in, none of them have it really bad right now so i'll have to wait...their gills never seemed red, they're always kinda purple, but I guess they could be more red than before...

catdawg426 03-07-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

I've got one who will do it every once in a while, still trying to get a vid, but what do you think it could be? I'm really scared because I think some of my mainganos have got it and I realllyy don't want to loose them :-(

Lupin 03-08-2011 12:43 AM

Been thinking of possible myxosporidian disease but I can't be too sure about this yet. Sorry, been busy lately.

catdawg426 03-08-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 612571)
Been thinking of possible myxosporidian disease but I can't be too sure about this yet. Sorry, been busy lately.

totally fine. I'm uploading a video to photobucket right now, it's one of my mainganos, it's not doing it quite as violently as when it gets bad, but it's the general idea.

catdawg426 03-08-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 612571)

Here's the vid
http://s1044.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=sick.mp4

catdawg426 03-08-2011 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catdawg426 (Post 612574)
totally fine. I'm uploading a video to photobucket right now, it's one of my mainganos, it's not doing it quite as violently as when it gets bad, but it's the general idea.

Lupin,
I doubt this makes a difference, but they recently discovered hexavalent chromium carcinogen in my district's tap water, I have no idea what it is. Here's an article on it, I live in Bend Tests find hexavalent chromium carcinogen in Bend tap water, according to environmental group | OregonLive.com .