What will eat this algae?
Hey! I have a variety of algae eaters, but none seem to want to eat this stuff: Algae | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
African Dwarf Frog
Nerite Snail x2
Amano Shrimp x4
'Yellow' Shrimp x5
Red Crystal Shrimp X2
Black Crystal Shrimp
I don't mind a little algae (it's actually quite pretty IMO), but it is starting to smother my other plants. So, ideas? :)
Oh, yuck! It's the dreaded cyanobacteria (also known as blue green algae) and it's a bacteria, not algae and no one will eat this crud. Your best bet is to remove as much of it as you can manually. What type of lighting, lighting schedule, frequency of water changes, how heavily planted is this tank?
If not removed manually this stuff will take over your entire tank, if you let it. I just finshed doing battle with it myself. Unlike you I think the stuff is beyond ugly! :lol:
PS. What are you water parameters?? NitrAte, specifically.
I just found the article I was looking for, it has alot of good info as far as cyanobacteria.
Lighting: 65W CF 10hrs a day. I reduced it from 12 hours about a week ago and its growth slowed. Should I reduce it more?
Red Tiger Lotus x2
Banana Plant x2
Dwarf Hair Grass
Duckweed (big & small)
Corkscrew Val (with 4 new runners)
Water changes: every 2-4 weeks
Phosphate: 1ppm (maybe 1.5)
No 'pungent' smell in my tank? Could it be something else?
BTW, is it possible that this stuff is what killed my Apple Snails? Never did solve that mystery.
there are solutions you can buy to add to your tank that will kill cyanobacteria without killing the occupants of your tank
No reading for nitrates?? Odd, in a cycled tank. Are you shaking the heck out of those reagents? (I'm assuming you are using a liquid test kit?)
If it were me, I'd step up water changes to once a week, at least 30%. If there are excess organics in the tank you'll be ridding the tank of them. What size tank, I forgot to ask? If this was a 20gl tank with 65watts of CFL I'd have to say that it was way more light than the tank needs and could be a contributing factor. What is the Kelvin rating on your bulbs?
PS. I doubt the cyano killed your snails. Must have been something else that caused that.
It's a 15 gallon tank and ya, it's too much light. Worse, it's actually a 2-light set I run it without the 65W actinic. I'm only using the 65W 12000k daylight bulb. I haven't downgraded because it was a Christmas gift, but if this continues I may have no choice.
Did a 30% water change; great minds think alike ;). I missed a couple spots, but I need sleep. 8) I'll do weekly water changes and continue the war. I think my plants can handle a few lights-off days, so I'll also try that.
That is a whole lot of light on a 15 gal. aquarium!!!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.