Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Cories are hiding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/cories-hiding-64459/)

tanker 03-05-2011 07:27 PM

Cories are hiding

The cories in my 165-litre hide and I don't see them. Although some might have died (I've never found any bodies) there are at least some still there (it's hard to count them when they are in behind things). I can see the side of the tank from my desk in another room and from there I can see that some of them come out when I'm not in front of the tank. I have/had 5 trilineatus and 7 habrosus.

There's just me here, and I don't pass through the dining room that much, but the cories in my 250-litre have the same level of traffic (well, less really, because their tank doesn't get walked past at all) and they don't hide away like the ones in the other tank. The tank is an Aqua One AR-850 and it has a slightly curved front. The light is what came with the tank and there's quite a lot of floating water sprite so the light is shaded somewhat. As for decor,I've got a bit of driftwood that is like a low arch (the cories hide in under/behind it) and a big rock with holes drilled in it (pictures are on my aquarium tab).

The plants haven't done that well in there and aren't that tall. I started with some vallisneria (sp?) up the back which seems to have pretty much disappeared. There are a couple of stems of ambulia. The sword is doing well, but it's not that big. Most of the water sprite I'd planted around the rock has found its way to the surface and I've just planted a couple of bits of "something" (the guy in the aquarium shop couldn't tell me what it is :roll:)

Changes to the tank since I moved everyone from the 75-litre are the addition of a second apple snail (I decided that they make too much mess for my betta tanks, so they've all gone into the big tanks now) and my platies have been breeding so there are a few little platies in there (although I've lost some of my big, older platies as well), otherwise it's the same as it was before - platies, pristella tetras and cories.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks. What plants could I plant in the front that wouldn't reach for the sky? (The trouble with getting plants here is that they are never labelled - it's a lottery what you end up with....)

gingerael 03-05-2011 09:44 PM

elodea species tend to grow really tall and are quite bushy too. they can be considered an invasive species because they grow SO well!

tanker 03-06-2011 03:54 AM

Thanks. It's quite a small tank, so I don't want anything too vigorous. I replanted a few things today, but it still needs something.....

Byron 03-09-2011 01:02 PM

Responding on the cory issue.

Fish in aquaria that rarely see "traffic" will be much more skittish than fish in aquaria that have people passing by regularly; this sometimes depends a bit on the fish species, but corys I have found are definitely like this. This is why when you first acquire fish, they may be out a lot, but as they settle in to a "quiet" environment, when you approach they feel threatened. My 7 tanks are in a fish room at one end of the house, and they see no one except me and only when I enter the room. The corys in particular will all disappear as soon as my shadow or image appears. After I sit in front of the tank a few minutes, they begin venturing out. If I move or get up, they scatter behind plants and wood again.

This reminds me of something I read years ago. An aquarist with discus in tanks in his fishroom always wore a white lab coat when working on the tanks. Whenever a visitor entered in dark clothes, or if the aquarist did not wear the white coat, the discus would disappear behind plants, trembling. They recognized the white coat, knowing there was no danger. Fish instincts are quite remarkable.

One trick to always see them is feeding. Always feed around the same time each day, preferably in the morning about half an hour or more after the lights come on--no sooner, as it takes some fish a while to get accustomed. For the same reason one should never feed just before lights out, give them an hour or more to digest the food naturally--except nocturnal fish, obviously. Fish fed at the same day each day quickly learn this, and their "inner clock" tells them when food is likely to appear. When I first moved to my present house i was still working, and had to leave well before the tank lights came on in the morning. So I switched to evening feedings, as soon as I got home around 6 pm. Within no time the fish all picked up on this. On weekends and days off, when i entered the fish room during the day, they reacted normally. But around 5.30 pm they would always all immediately come to the front top of the tanks when I entered. Their instinct told them this was the usual feeding time. This is one way to "see everyone" daily.

Another trick is to sound the dinner gong:-). When I feed my fish I use a plastic 1/2 teaspoon as it is safer than shaking food out of a container, and I always gently tap on the tank frame with the spoon, always. When I do, in goes the food. Within minutes, the "hidden" fish like corys, Farlowella, Whiptails and pleco are scampering out and around the front, looking for the food. Even if it isn't in the tank yet, the "gong" tells them it should or will be, and they are prepared. Doing this, I sit back and can easily count all the 30 some corys which during the day I may never see, at least not at once.

Byron.

Grimmjow 03-09-2011 01:06 PM

Thats weird, my corys are the only fish that completely ignore me when I look in, all the others flock to the front like its feeding time.

Byron 03-09-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimmjow (Post 613828)
Thats weird, my corys are the only fish that completely ignore me when I look in, all the others flock to the front like its feeding time.

Your fish are the weird ones:lol:. Seriously though, in the wild, corys are highly skittish. Dr. David Sands studied this extensively in the 1990's. They have two strategies, either they "freeze" motionless, or they immediately flee as fast as they can. And they do this in a group. They live in shoals of hundreds, and the entire group usually reacts whichever way if perceived danger appears, such as a shadow (bird, large upper water fish) or a predator in the water. They are very hyper.

As I mentioned earlier though, more frequent "people traffic" does settle them sometimes.

tanker 03-10-2011 02:28 AM

Thanks, Byron. The traffic issue is what I don't understand. My cories in my big tank get less traffic (in that nobody can walk past the tank as it's at right angles to a wall and its back is against a wall) but it's the cories in the other tank that hide. They used to come out to eat their dinner but now they must eat after dark or when I'm not looking, because they don't come rushing over.

Do you think they might come out more if I increased their number?

Byron 03-10-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanker (Post 614475)
Thanks, Byron. The traffic issue is what I don't understand. My cories in my big tank get less traffic (in that nobody can walk past the tank as it's at right angles to a wall and its back is against a wall) but it's the cories in the other tank that hide. They used to come out to eat their dinner but now they must eat after dark or when I'm not looking, because they don't come rushing over.

Do you think they might come out more if I increased their number?

The more the safer they will obviously feel. But that doesn't mean they will stay out. Different fish react differently to their environment. As I said, this never bothers me. After you sit in front of the tank quietly for a few minutes, you'll see them. And if they become accustomed to movement, and learn there is no danger, they may be out even more.

tanker 03-11-2011 03:34 AM

They used to come out before, something's made them less accustomed to movement or liking to come out.

newfish45 03-12-2011 09:15 PM

My cories are also good at hiding. I have learning to be patient and trying to put there food more to the front of the tank. At least then I can try to do a count and make sure everyone is present. Hopefully,they become more comfortable and start to come out more often.