Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-64413/)

Bandy0390 03-05-2011 10:14 AM

Stocking!

Ok, so I have a 25 gallon tank, that is taller than it is long, made specifically this way because its labeled as a "live plant aquarium".

The stocking that I'm looking at currently is as follows:

9 dwarf corys
6 tiger barbs
and as the "focal fish" 1 dwarf gourami.

Aqadvisor.com placed my stocking level at 92% with suggested 22% water changes.

My only concerns with this are

1) Some sites say that the smaller gouramis, like the dwarf and honey, are bottom swimmers and as a focal fish I would want it to swim more of pretty much everywhere.

2) Are the tiger barbs ok with gouramis longer hair like things. haha (forget what they are called)

If you have any better suggestions/modifications to this stocking please let me know. :)

Bandy0390 03-05-2011 12:32 PM

Being that no one has responded, I'm guessing that this combo is ok?

small fry 03-05-2011 12:38 PM

The dwarf gourami, from what I have read is a mostly middle range fish. You can often tell by where their mouth is on their face where they spend most of their time (e.g. Guppies mouth's are on the top of their faces as well as hatchetfish, tetra have their mouths on the middle of their face, corydoras have their mouths on the bottom of their face meaning it spends most of it's time at the bottom [exceptions may apply]).

It is not suggested that you stock Dwarfs and Tiger Barbs together. Tiger Barbs can by pretty mean in groups of less than 10 (and they can still be mean in those numbers), and gouramis don't appreciate their constant "rudeness". You may and up with a wounded gourami, or wounded Tiger Barbs.

I have heard that large-ish rasbora schools will do well with dwarf gourami. You may want to look into that.

Does that answer your questions?

Bandy0390 03-05-2011 12:43 PM

That does answer my questions. Thank you. I will look into the rasboras and see what I come with. :)

Bandy0390 03-05-2011 01:27 PM

Ok, so what do you guys think about this combo,

2x Dwarf Gouramis
10x Neon Tetras
9x Dwarf Corys

Aqadvisor put this combo at 91% stocking rate and 21% weekly water change.

P.s. Looked at some of the different Rasboras and one caught my eye, the merald dwarf, but I figured the gouramii would eat them?

Byron 03-05-2011 06:50 PM

Your latest idea is better than the first, but may still have some problems. We have fish profiles here, with info on water requirements, compatibility, behaviours, n umbers needed of the species, minimum tank size (for the species alone, adding other fish may or may not increase this), etc. Second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top, or click on the fish name if it is shaded in posts, example: Dwarf Gourami. If you read this fish's profile, you will find some issues to be aware of, even with neons.

Byron.

gingerael 03-05-2011 10:18 PM

gouramis are labyrinth breathers so they stay towards the middle/top of the tank. I personally prefer pearl gouramis to the dwarf variety though

LasColinasCichlids 03-05-2011 10:30 PM

With the gourami, make sure there a lot of plants (fake or live) to break up site lines and such. Sparkling gourami are pretty cool too.

Bandy0390 03-06-2011 10:05 AM

Byron, I have read the profiles up top on all three of the fish. :) I really enjoyed learning about them too. This site is def great for that reason, all those profiles. The problem that your referring to for the neons, is it that they are too colorful for the gourami? Will it make the male aggressive?

Gingerael, thanks for the input. Pearl Gouramis are beautiful,but I do think they be too big for my 25. They get up to 5 inches right?

LasColinasCichlids, Already planned on having some plants in the tank. I will be sure to post pics of the plants that I get so you guys can tell me whether or not it is enough.

Byron 03-06-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandy0390 (Post 610569)
Byron, I have read the profiles up top on all three of the fish. :) I really enjoyed learning about them too. This site is def great for that reason, all those profiles. The problem that your referring to for the neons, is it that they are too colorful for the gourami? Will it make the male aggressive?

Gingerael, thanks for the input. Pearl Gouramis are beautiful,but I do think they be too big for my 25. They get up to 5 inches right?

LasColinasCichlids, Already planned on having some plants in the tank. I will be sure to post pics of the plants that I get so you guys can tell me whether or not it is enough.

On the neon/gourami question, it might. This is one of those things that is a risk. Gourami are by nature territorial, and territorial fish sometimes show aggression to other species that appear to them to be rivals. But as with people, each fish can be somewhat different in things. One aquarist may have a gourami that is peaceful with other fish, while another aquarist may have a gourami that attacks and injures anything that approaches it. My thinking is to always expect the worst, and if you can provide for that, you will have no issues no mattder what the fish may turn out to be like. But believe me when I say, there is nothing worse than a terror in a community tank; the trouble this causes--stressed fish, poor health, fish losses--is not easy to remedy once you have it. I have twice had this, and I have learned.

The other dwarf gourami issue is their disease possibility, which is quite widespread. I personally would never chance this, unless I knew the fish came from a local breeder whom I could trust.

Pearl gourami need a 3-foot tank (the length is more significant than volume for many fish) to be at its best. And it might well devour neons, especially if they are small.

Byron.