Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Tetra Algae Control?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PRichs87 
#1 ·
Hey, i got a bottle of this stuff with a qt I got from craigslist. Since I cycled the tank with flakes (all I had) i'm getting a ton of algae. I'm guessing the water's got a bunch of phosphates in it, so will tetra algae control remove phosphates or is it just some stupid stuff with a bunch of side effects like a bunch of other tank chemicals?
Thanks,
-Ian :)

#3 ·
I would not use it, I would do a water change and keep the lights off for a few days to see if that helps. What kind of algae is it?

#4 · (Edited)
Read the fine print. The ingredient it has, is extremely toxic to fish and inverts. Do NOT even bother to use it if you have fish. And no, it does not remove the phosphates. It's simply chemical used to destroy the algae but when the algae is destroyed, it can wreak havoc on a cycled setup by reducing severely the oxygen level and elevating ammonia level. That can adversely impact your beneficial bacteria as well.

#5 ·
oh...well then I won't use it hahah. It's brown algae, and ya I use a magnet cleaner to clean the sides, but the gravel and decorations are just covered. Ill do a water change and leave the lights off for a while and see if that helps. Ya, I've got my fry in there right now, certainly don't want to kill them:shock:. Thanks 4 the help guys.

#6 ·
Ahh...Brown algae is not really much of an issue even though it is definitely an eyesore. They just disappear as the tank ages. They thrive on high silicates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.