Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Telling the sex of 1cm guppy fry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/telling-sex-1cm-guppy-fry-64354/)

Pufferfish22 03-04-2011 03:25 PM

Telling the sex of 1cm guppy fry

My daughter has recently set up a male guppy tank, all was fab til she brought home a new guppy which had a small fry hitch hiker that the LFS gave her for free.

I've studied small fry (as its been nicknamed) carefully, its about 1cm long now and it has a larger fin at the bottom than the male ones, so I'm fearing we have a female intruder! Is 1cm to soon to try to sex the fry? Her fin is definately wider than the boys pointed ones. If she is a girlie, how long before she breeds and should I get more girls now, will the males just harrass her as shes the only female? We've become very fond of small fry, watching her grow and change and want to keep her now, but just want her to be happy in the tank :-D

Guppie luver 03-04-2011 03:36 PM

if it is a female then they will harrass her to death so you will need more females and the female wont breed till it is the same size and they wil breed like crazy trust me as you can see i have alot

Lupin 03-04-2011 07:11 PM

1cm is too soon. Wait until it reaches at least 1.5". That should be good enough to determine the sex. They're usually sexually matured at 3 months. I find that virgin females tend to be bigger than those that were copulated by males at an early age. Keep her separated IMO. Let her grow for a few months. She'll be bigger than the usual female guppies sold nowadays. I find it more accomplishing actually since she reached her potential. Well, that's assuming the fry is a female, of course.

zof 03-04-2011 07:12 PM

I think its a bit too soon to sex a livebearer, it can be many months before the true sex comes through by telling from finnage, on the bright side its a guppie so even before the fin develops you should be able to tell by body coloration as the females tend not to have the color on their bodies like males but mainly only their fins, also being this small its probably to early to tell even for that.

julem35 03-06-2011 02:19 PM

WAY! too soon. I can tell mine by about nine weeks. They will all look like females when they are young.

Amethyst123 03-10-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 609133)
you should be able to tell by body coloration as the females tend not to have the color on their bodies like males but mainly only their fins

Not necessarily true - all of my female guppies have color in their bodies. Anyway, as you noted, it's too early to see much color, either.

In my experience, the anal fin starts to differentiate at about 3/4" to 1". If Small Fry still has the larger anal fin after reaching an inch, it is probably female.

By the way, at the current size, your baby is in danger of being eaten, as well as being harrassed to death if she is the only female, so I'd definitely separate the baby. If you decide to put together a mixed-gender tank, you need 2 to 3 females for every male.

Pufferfish22 03-10-2011 10:30 AM

Thanks for you advice amethyst, small fry is quite large now (or larger than she was) still not sure whether she is a she yet. The boys take no notice of her at all and thankfully she's to big to be eaten now, but I think I might add her to my friends tank to be on the safe side. Do guppies need to be with other guppies or would she be OK on her own?

zof 03-10-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amethyst123 (Post 614551)
Not necessarily true - all of my female guppies have color in their bodies. Anyway, as you noted, it's too early to see much color, either.

Thanks for the correction, too use to seeing the cheap guppies around my stores.

Amethyst123 03-14-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 614967)
Thanks for the correction, too use to seeing the cheap guppies around my stores.

All of my guppies are from PetSmart or Petco, and some have been purchased for a dollar each (on sale). I haven't paid more than 2.49 for any of them, including the males. I just choose the most colorful females.

Amethyst123 03-14-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pufferfish22 (Post 614610)
Thanks for you advice amethyst, small fry is quite large now (or larger than she was) still not sure whether she is a she yet. The boys take no notice of her at all and thankfully she's to big to be eaten now, but I think I might add her to my friends tank to be on the safe side. Do guppies need to be with other guppies or would she be OK on her own?

If she's too big to eat, and they're ignoring her, she should be OK where she is, at least until you can tell if she's really a she. As she approaches sexual maturity (3 to 4 months), you will need to remove her or get more females so she doesn't get harrassed to death.

As far as needing other guppies as company - yes and no. Guppies aren't officially "schooling" fish, but they do live in large community groups in the wild. She probably won't do well all by herself, but if she is in a tank with other fish of similar sizes, she should be OK. My orange female guppy tends to hang out with the platys, who are also orange, rather than the female guppies of different colors.