Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   added new Mosquito Rasboras (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/added-new-mosquito-rasboras-64344/)

combray 03-04-2011 01:44 PM

added new Mosquito Rasboras

Today I was in my LFS and they had some fish labeled: "Red Fin Dwarf Rasboras." I am pretty certain they are Mosquito Rasboras. I purchased 7 and added them to my 10 gallon plant with 5 Corydoras habrosus (salt and peppers).

The Rasboras are so tiny still. I hope to get pictures posted soon, as I am not 100% certain as to which dwarf Rasboras they are.

Romad 03-04-2011 02:06 PM

Congrats. on your new additions. Looking forward to pics.

Byron 03-05-2011 10:32 AM

Boraras brigittae, the Mosquito Rasbora, is included in our profiles (click the shaded name to see the profile) so have a look at the photos. There is another species, Boraras merah, that is very similar in colouration [this is not yet in our profiles]. The other "dwarf" rasbora are quite different from these two.

You will also find info on what this fish needs. Plants, esp floating plants, are essential if you have a Boraras, as they spend much of their time among floating plants and without them will be stressed.

Byron.

combray 03-05-2011 07:06 PM

Thank you for the replies. After closer examination I believe I have Boraras brigittae. Tomorrow I may have my children confirm this for me with their younger eyes (the fish are quite small still). About a third of the surface is covered with a floating plant that is doing poorly however. I do not think it is a true floating plant, so I will add in some duckweed to keep the fish comfortable.

Again thank you for the replies and I hope to upload pictures soon.

Byron 03-05-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combray (Post 610051)
Thank you for the replies. After closer examination I believe I have Boraras brigittae. Tomorrow I may have my children confirm this for me with their younger eyes (the fish are quite small still). About a third of the surface is covered with a floating plant that is doing poorly however. I do not think it is a true floating plant, so I will add in some duckweed to keep the fish comfortable.

Again thank you for the replies and I hope to upload pictures soon.

Although it says they attain 1 inche in the profile, they are very slow growing. The oldest in my group (I've had about a year) are only 1/2 inch.

Duckweed won't fill the bill, these fish need dangling roots/leaves; or plants growing from the substrate that reach the surface with finely pinnate leaf structures (like Wisteria). Ceratopteris cornuta is ideal [also in our profiles, click the shaded name]. Some stem plants will work: Brazilian Pennywort, Wisteria, Cabomba--just let it float rather than planting it in the substrate.

Byron.

combray 03-05-2011 07:28 PM

Thank you Byron.

I believe the "floating" plant I currently have is Cabomba, so that will be a good start. I will see what else I can come up with locally to fill out the surface a little more. Yes, these guys are so tiny that I want to do whatever I can to help them along.

Byron 03-05-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combray (Post 610075)
Thank you Byron.

I believe the "floating" plant I currently have is Cabomba, so that will be a good start. I will see what else I can come up with locally to fill out the surface a little more. Yes, these guys are so tiny that I want to do whatever I can to help them along.

Yes, they are delicate. Mine are eating well, but i still lose a few, no idea where. Good luck.

combray 03-05-2011 08:00 PM

I have the 7 Boraras brigittae with 5 Corydoras habrosus in an established and planted 10 gallon. Do you think there is room to add more Boraras brigittae? My LFS has a few left and I am tempted to add more, but I don't want to become overstocked. I do not have plans to add any other species to this tank.

Aqadvisor puts my current stocking level at 91%.

Byron 03-06-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combray (Post 610106)
I have the 7 Boraras brigittae with 5 Corydoras habrosus in an established and planted 10 gallon. Do you think there is room to add more Boraras brigittae? My LFS has a few left and I am tempted to add more, but I don't want to become overstocked. I do not have plans to add any other species to this tank.

Aqadvisor puts my current stocking level at 91%.

Yes, add them; the more the better with these small fish as it gives them more "comfort."

I had 11 Boraras brigittae and 7 Corydoras pygmaeus in my 10g, and there was room for more. As long as it is well planted. I moved the Boraras (for other reasons) and now have 7 C. habrosus and 14 C. pygmaeus plus 4 Poecillocharax weitzmani and a shrimp or two in the 10g. Live plants, plus combining truly "compatible" fish, makes a big difference.

Byron.

combray 03-06-2011 09:24 AM

Excellent. Today, I'll go see if my LFS still has any left. I assumed the Boraras brigittae's bio-load would be quite minimal, but I wanted to just make sure I had room. I'll see what floating plants they have too.

Thanks once again. The advice I've received on this forum has been invaluable.