Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   What will Ghost Shrimp NOT eat? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/what-will-ghost-shrimp-not-eat-64299/)

Skunkmang 03-03-2011 09:13 PM

What will Ghost Shrimp NOT eat?

Well i have been an owner of Ghost shrimp for about 3 hours now... i think one took a whole 5 min. to kill a 3 week old molly fry.

I have had 3 Fry that stood up to "the survival of the fittest" challenge and i got the Ghost shrimp and 5 min after letting them free i saw a Shrimp with half a Fry in it's mouth. Now i have not seen this fry in about a day and a half, is it likely that it had died and the shrimp just found it? or did the shrimp likely kill it?

Then i saw one go along scooping up something i think was Baby MTS, do they eat baby snails?

The weirdest thing i saw was one of the shrimp had red stuff in its digestive tract, it looked like it was bubbling i figured it was digesting but then it flipped over an MTS about 3/4 it's size and spewed this red stuff out on the snail. When this happened a molly came along and spooked the shrimp and it darted off. after a few min. the MTS came out and continued on it's merry way. What is with that? Do the shrimp eat like that, by projecting digestive fluids onto prey?

I have moved my remaining 2 fry to my 10 gal. to keep them safe.

So far i cannot say these guys have been good to my community... and i know they are not "Macros" as they do not have long arms.

Any input any of you can give me on these guys would be great!

Skunkmang 03-03-2011 09:31 PM

i just realized there is a freshwater shrimp part of these forums could someone please move this for me?

aunt kymmie 03-03-2011 10:08 PM

Wow, weird. I have RCS and they scavenge everything in the tank but they'd never go after fry. They are very quick to consume any dead RCS, not too many of those but every once in awile one will die. They will ignore the food I put in and continue eating their dead buddy. I know nothing about Ghosts, someone will com along who knows.

eileen 03-03-2011 11:40 PM

I read that Ghost shrimps will grab small fry and eat them. I got rid of all my Ghost shrimps as I noticed that they had little claws like crabs and they were pigs in my community tank and really big in size over my red cherry shrimps. I rehomed them on criagslst. I would get red Cherry shrimps if you want a dwarf shrimp. They are not aggressive and I have them in my 10 gal. fry tank without any problems. Sorry to hear about them getting your baby fry. You did the right thing by moving them. I would get rid of the Ghost shrimps.

Lupin 03-03-2011 11:42 PM

Because the ones you two have are NOT true ghost shrimps. These are Macrobrachium sp. The true ghost shrimps will NEVER eat even fry.

Lupin 03-03-2011 11:43 PM

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...imp-not-63880/

Skunkmang 03-04-2011 05:50 PM

Would they eat Dead Fry? I made sure the lady that ordered them for me checked that they were NOT Macrobrachium sp. because i read your post that you just referred to and wanted to make sure i didn't get macros.

They are not very big and do not have the long arms like in the pictures posted. They do not seem aggressive, like i said it may have been dead before it found it...?

Lupin 03-04-2011 05:53 PM

Well, it's possible. They're scavengers after all.

eileen 03-04-2011 06:21 PM

That's really interesting as a well known aquarium store in my area had these shrimps and the tank was labeled Ghost shrimps so I got 8 of them. They had the long arms and claws and were big in size. Thanks for clearing that up.

badfish123 03-13-2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 608471)
Because the ones you two have are NOT true ghost shrimps. These are Macrobrachium sp. The true ghost shrimps will NEVER eat even fry.

Actually they will.
Posted via Mobile Device