Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Adding Water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/adding-water-64266/)

bailey0789 03-03-2011 01:03 PM

Adding Water

So I usually get my water from my kitchen sink becasue the set tub in my utility room has really cloudy water. I use the water conditioner but im wondering. How long should I wait to add the water. The bottle says "instantly eliminates chlorine". Are there any good articles on the subject or any advice you have.

DKRST 03-03-2011 09:13 PM

If you have a typical chemical chlorine remover, it works virtually instantaneously. It's a quick chemical reaction. If you want to aerate a bucket of water to remove chlorine, it takes a full 24 hours just to be safe. For years, I changed up to 10% of a tank without using any chlorine remover (I don't recommend that, chlorine levels vary widely).

I worry more about the temperature difference between my new water and the tank I'm putting it in, and I also use a chlorine remover!

jeaninel 03-03-2011 09:54 PM

Yes, it works immediately. So you can fill your bucket with water at close to the temp tank water, stir in the conditioner, then add it to your tank right away.

zof 03-04-2011 07:17 PM

I add my water conditioner(prime) and water at the same time to my tank, since I have one of those hoses that attaches to the sink.

Lupin 03-04-2011 07:24 PM

Make sure your dechlorinator can deal with chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals. Prime is much better as detoxifying ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is its added benefit. It will never expire.:wink:

PRichs87 03-05-2011 10:04 AM

I like to add my conditioner first, then the water. That way the water from the faucet naturally stirs the conditioner throughout.

whitecloud34 03-05-2011 12:46 PM

I use start right, which instantly eliminates chlorine and chloromine. Is it chlorine your water supply has in it or chloromine? If it is chloromine you have to make sure the water conditioner you use includes chloromine for treating. I hear a lot of people using Prime if they have chloromine because it has ammonia in it. My city has chloromine and I tested water right from the tap and got a .50ppm ammonia reading. I researched that and found out that ammonia is a byproduct of chloromine. But I looked into Prime (never used it yet) and it converts ammonia into ammonium, which makes it safe for the fish.

bailey0789 03-05-2011 06:31 PM

So what is prime, another brand of water conditioner? Are you saying you can use Prime to control ammonia etc.. just by adding it to your tank?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 609155)
Make sure your dechlorinator can deal with chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals. Prime is much better as detoxifying ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is its added benefit. It will never expire.:wink:

Byron 03-05-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bailey0789 (Post 610006)
So what is prime, another brand of water conditioner? Are you saying you can use Prime to control ammonia etc.. just by adding it to your tank?

Yes to the first question, no (sort of) to the second. I'll explain this.

Prime is a water conditioner, intended for use during a water change. It detoxifies chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate if any of these are in the tap water. It "works" for about 24-36 hours, possibly (according to Seachem whom i asked directly) 48 hours but best not to chance that. Anyway, it is as I said intended for dealing with these substances in source (tap) water. Not for treating established tanks to lower ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. Those problems, if they exist, must be handled naturally by finding the cause and fixing things, rather than masking the issue with bandaids.

Many water conditioners now handle ammonia along with chlorine, chloramine and heavy metal. They will say this on the label. To my knowledge, other than Prime, only Ultimate (made by Aquarium Solutions) handles nitrite as well. This latter does not appear to deal with nitrate, at least they don't say it does.

As someone hinted, it is good to know exactly what is in your tap water. Test it for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. And for pH if you haven't already. And also check with the water supply folks, many now have websites with a chart of water parameters, or if not they can tell you.

Byron.