Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   How do you know when to change your filter? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/how-do-you-know-when-change-64215/)

ruby716 03-02-2011 10:32 PM

How do you know when to change your filter?

Hi everyone, I have a 2.5 gallon and it's been running for about 2 weeks now with a couple tiny fish.... The filter looks dirty already with green on it. I know the filter builds up good bacteria to eat away the ammonia and stuff, but is it bad that it's green? When do I know to change it? And also, when I do change it, how do I keep some of the good bacteria from the old filter in the water? If I just put a new filter on than I'm getting rid of the good bacteria. Here is a pic of what it looks like..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...6/SDC12613.jpg

Plumkin 03-03-2011 12:06 AM

what i seem to have learned anyone can correct me if i am wrong but you dont need to change the filter till its like falling apart usally every 6months or so and the green is fine if you want to clean it next water change just fill a bucket up with that tank water and clean it in there you dont need to clean the filteration system so when it is time for a new filter you will still have alot of that good bactira in the filteration system it will just be a new filter :) hope that helps a bit

jeaninel 03-03-2011 12:24 AM

Heck, that ain't dirty! lol The green is just a little algae growth. As Plumkin mentioned you can swish the cartridge in some used tank water to clean it (don't use tap water, the chlorine in it will kill the bacteria). When you do need to change it (when it's falling apart) try cutting the floss part off and use a rubber band to strap it to a new cartridge. That way you'll keep the majority of your bacteria until your new cartridge can establish its own bacteria colony.

I'm not familiar with that filter. Is the cartridge the only media in the filter?

phluid13 03-03-2011 12:29 AM

I do the same as was stated above. When I am performing a water change, I use the water from the tank to rinse the filters out. Something I never did as a kid but a best practice I learned growing up.

ruby716 03-03-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 607452)
Heck, that ain't dirty! lol The green is just a little algae growth. As Plumkin mentioned you can swish the cartridge in some used tank water to clean it (don't use tap water, the chlorine in it will kill the bacteria). When you do need to change it (when it's falling apart) try cutting the floss part off and use a rubber band to strap it to a new cartridge. That way you'll keep the majority of your bacteria until your new cartridge can establish its own bacteria colony.

I'm not familiar with that filter. Is the cartridge the only media in the filter?

yes the cartridge is the white part that sort of feels like cotton and i just clip that part in there.. Mini Bow Filter its called.. when you mean swish the cartridge, u mean the white part rite? so when it gets dirtier rinse it off a little, and put it back in? then when its really crappy looking, change the white part to a new one but hook the old one on the new one under it or over it?

jeaninel 03-03-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruby716 (Post 607898)
yes the cartridge is the white part that sort of feels like cotton and i just clip that part in there.. Mini Bow Filter its called.. when you mean swish the cartridge, u mean the white part rite? so when it gets dirtier rinse it off a little, and put it back in? then when its really crappy looking, change the white part to a new one but hook the old one on the new one under it or over it?

Yes

PRichs87 03-06-2011 09:10 PM

Don't even bother buying the "filter cartridges" just get some filter floss or the blue pads that pet stores sell, it does the same thing. You just have to cut it to size.