Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Keep me from overstocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/keep-me-overstocking-64209/)

deman3 03-02-2011 10:21 PM

Keep me from overstocking

So all the fish in my signature are going into the 55 gallon tank when doing well. My current plan is to trade in the common pleco and the albino clawed frog and get 3-4 more cory cats from each of the 2 species that i have(i have 1 of each already). I also need some sort of algae eater, like some ottos or a small plec breed. Does anyone have any recommendations? Will getting that many cories and maybe 4 ottos overstock the tank?

Thoughts por favor......

DKRST 03-02-2011 10:32 PM

What else do you have in there? Anything besides what you listed? If not, you are not anywhere near overstocking, depending on the filter system.

LasColinasCichlids 03-02-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deman3 (Post 607303)
So all the fish in my signature are going into the 55 gallon tank when doing well. My current plan is to trade in the common pleco and the albino clawed frog and get 3-4 more cory cats from each of the 2 species that i have(i have 1 of each already). I also need some sort of algae eater, like some ottos or a small plec breed. Does anyone have any recommendations? Will getting that many cories and maybe 4 ottos overstock the tank?

Thoughts por favor......

The best algae/cleaner fish I can think of that are always great is the otos. You might consider more than 4 even. I will be adding 3 to my 29 gal this week, so I would think maybe 6 would do great in a 55 gal tank. Otos clean glass, decor, plants (artificial I know for sure, this will be my first time with otos in a tank with live plants, I dont expect an issue though). And otos only get about 2 inches, and from what I know have a low bioload.

As far as small pleco breeds, the only one I have experiance with is the clown pleco, which isnt big on algae eating, as it prefers to rasp on wood and rarely comes out of hiding. I wasnt impressed. The only other small pleco I can think of is the bristlenose, but I have no idea how they are regarding cleaning algae and what not.

I dont think that any of these additional fish (after removal of the frog and pleco) would overstock you, at least that's my opinion.

As for the cory, great idea. Do you know what kind you have yet? From your signature it said you hadnt identified them yet, so I was curious if you have done so.

I use to have an ACF, that thing ate guppies like crazy!! lol

deman3 03-02-2011 10:47 PM

So far so good with the ACF he hasnt eaten any of the tetras as far as I can tell. I think one is a bronze cory and the other is a dark spotted one, possibly Corydoras paleatus.

LasColinasCichlids 03-02-2011 11:15 PM

Be sure to keep us posted when you add the new fish and what not. Any pictures of your tank?

deman3 03-03-2011 07:06 AM

Ya, I posted some pictures the other day in the pictures forum. I think I am going to redo it and go planted though. I will most definitely keep you guys updated.

deman3 03-05-2011 09:22 PM

So today I traded in the ACF and Common pleco and got two Otos, which was better than what anywhere else was willing to give, which was nothing lol. I bought 2 more otos to go with the other 2. I also got 3 emerald and 3 peppered cories to go with the 1 of each that I had in the 55 already. Now for the qt to watch and see.

LasColinasCichlids 03-05-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deman3 (Post 610128)
So today I traded in the ACF and Common pleco and got two Otos, which was better than what anywhere else was willing to give, which was nothing lol. I bought 2 more otos to go with the other 2. I also got 3 emerald and 3 peppered cories to go with the 1 of each that I had in the 55 already. Now for the qt to watch and see.

Awesome choices.

Yeah, there is only one place near me that does a decant store credit exchange policy...they give 1/3 of what they sell it for.

gingerael 03-05-2011 10:57 PM

my fav algae eating species is the bristlenose pleco. they are quite small and you can even get an albino variety.