Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   question about anubias (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/question-about-anubias-64189/)

Salix 03-02-2011 05:52 PM

question about anubias

Ok, so I was at the pet store earlier this afternoon to pick up some more flake food, when I saw the rack of plants in the plastic tubes. I was checking them out and one of them, the Anubias nana, is the only one that looks really healthy. All of the leaves are green without any signs of damage or discoloring. So on impulse I bought it since I've been wanting to get some new plants anyway.

My questions are what kind of requirements do these plants have? I plan on putting them in my 10 gallon betta tank. I have two 50 watt lights that are on for approximately six hours a day (sometimes it's closer to seven). The ammonia and nitrites are 0, the last time I checked (one week ago) the nitrates were at 10ppm, and the ph is 7.6. Is this compatible with my water specs? Do I need to put one or two root tabs in the gravel near the plant like I do with my Amazon Swords? Any input would be great and very much appreciated.

tanker 03-02-2011 07:12 PM

You don't plant it in the substrate, just sit it on the top of your gravel with the fine roots anchored by a little bit of gravel, or tie it to a bit of wood. Don't bury the rhizome.

underh2o 03-02-2011 07:30 PM

Anubias is a low to moderate light plant. Slow grower, seems like you have way too much light. Check out the plants requirements!

Salix 03-02-2011 11:17 PM

I've decided to take the plant back to the store tomorrow. Like I said, it was an impulse buy and apparently a bad one. I need more wisteria and I'll hopefully be getting some this weekend.

Aqua Jon 03-07-2011 04:22 PM

Well you can keep it and put it near the base of plants that will grow over it and give it shade, but 100 watts over 10 gallons is a ton of light! I would knock that in half and soon. I recently did a 2.5 with 15 watts over the tank. Everything was fine for about 3-4 weeks and then blue-green algae (bacteria) exploded into the tank. I suspect your tank is new as well. I tried to fight it and removing it all is near impossible. If your experienced with high light like that, then you should be fine, but I don't want you to spend your moolah on plants only to watch a faux algae devour them weeks later as I did.

Byron 03-07-2011 04:30 PM

Anubias is in our profiles, the A. nana which is the most widely available (there are several varieties, all with similar requirements). As someone mentinoed, in the shde of overhanging plants it is fine, but it will not do well in direct light that is bright.

Salix 03-07-2011 06:01 PM

I really need to start proof reading before I push the post button. I have two 10 watt lights in my 10 gallon tank, not two 50 watt. sorry for the confusion. I went ahead and put the anubias in my 45 gallon tank. It has a 17 watt tube that seems to do ok. My Amazon Swords are finally starting to fill out nicely but my Wisteria is growing pretty slowly.

Byron 03-07-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salix (Post 612090)
I really need to start proof reading before I push the post button. I have two 10 watt lights in my 10 gallon tank, not two 50 watt. sorry for the confusion. I went ahead and put the anubias in my 45 gallon tank. It has a 17 watt tube that seems to do ok. My Amazon Swords are finally starting to fill out nicely but my Wisteria is growing pretty slowly.

Anubias wil be fine in both setups. Wisteria is a stem plant and thus fast growing which means more light and nutrients. I have OK success with Wisteria for a couple months, then it just deterioriates.