Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Swordtail- is she pregnant? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/swordtail-she-pregnant-64133/)

Britty Bee 03-01-2011 11:59 PM

Swordtail- is she pregnant?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone-

I could have sworn my swordtail (female) was pregnant...was I wrong? I can't find a dark spot or any real hard evidence besides how fast she fattened up... here are some pictures: (they are not the greatest, wish i had a million dollars for a camera to take nice fishy pics)

Thanks for any advice-
Brittany

Plumkin 03-02-2011 12:03 AM

those are to small for me to see but you will see alot of small black dots in the back of her tummy those are the babys eyeballs if she had that she might of already gave birth to here babys look in hiding spots were they could hide plants , gravel ect you might see a lil cute dot :)

Britty Bee 03-02-2011 12:23 AM

Bigger Pictures!

2 Attachment(s)
Here these are bigger-

Lupin 03-02-2011 05:46 AM

No, she isn't gravid to me.

How big is the fish?
How old?
The second pic appears to have a sword growing to me...:? If so, this is a late blooming male.

Britty Bee 03-02-2011 12:16 PM

Fish is about an inch. Had her for a month. Not sure how long she was at our pet supplier before that. Would my other male swordtail be trying to mate with her if she wasn't female? What about the back fins?

Thanks for the help-
Brittany

kaxt 03-02-2011 01:48 PM

She doesn't look pregnant to me either. She is definitely a female though. Her anal fin would be pointed if she was developing into a male, but I see what Lupin was talking about in that last picture.

If she isn't pregnant now it won't be long before she is.

Plumkin 03-02-2011 04:07 PM

shes empty ! no babys sadly I can take a pic of my swordtail shes always gravid and show you a pic of what she will look like when she is.

Lupin 03-02-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britty Bee (Post 606804)
Fish is about an inch. Had her for a month. Not sure how long she was at our pet supplier before that. Would my other male swordtail be trying to mate with her if she wasn't female? What about the back fins?

Thanks for the help-
Brittany

Then there is no definite answer yet as to its sex. Wait first. Full grown male swordtails should be late bloomers. Swordtails, in fact, should have the potential to reach 6-8 inches although males tend to be a tad smaller but with the platy genes already mixed, the swordtails sold nowadays are smaller than the original ones.

Britty Bee 03-03-2011 11:47 AM

Kaxt: Thank you for your second opinion!

Plumkin: I would love to see a picture- I have been google images, but they don't really look too clear...thank you!

Lupin: Wow, i suppose platy would make them smaller- definatly will keep an eye on her and development. Thanks so much for all your advice.

Appreciate all the wisdom everyone-

Brittany