Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   ghost knife fish help.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/ghost-knife-fish-help-6406/)

travis300 06-10-2007 06:24 PM

ghost knife fish help..

I bought one on saturday..I havn't really had problems with it, just some things im curious about...I have a 30 gallon tank, the ph level, etc is all fine..I checked it before I bought anything..I have the temperature steady around 76-79 degrees..and a place for him to hide (pretty decent sized piece of wood)...He hid in there almost all of yesterday, then started to swim around a bit more at night and when I turned the light out...Today he's really been outside of it a lot more..even with the light on...he doesnt seem to leave the area of the piece of wood, but he hasn't really been hiding under it though...Is it normal for him to be swimming around all day?

I also tried to feed him a live worm...he saw it, and went towards it..but didn't try to eat it...is there anything else i should try that works good??..i was thinking frozen blood worm, but I wanted to get him to eat live food instead..

Thanks if you can help

MattD 06-10-2007 08:41 PM

You do realize these badboys get up to like, a foot long, iirc. You'll need a tank upgrade eventually, or you'll need to find him a new home.

squiggles1 06-11-2007 07:42 AM

i had a knifefish once and he'ld come out whenever he felt like it, day or night. I never tried live food with him but he didnt deem picky, he'ld pretty much eat anything. I believe they emit a type of electric current to sense their food, but I don't know that for a fact.

xingumike 06-11-2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travis300
I checked it before I bought anything

obviously not the tank size required to house an adult?

behaviour will be erratic as it finds its way around its new surroundings imo, it would be of benefit to the foish to have a cave that is open at both ends (i used a piece of black pve pipe) it will call that home soon enough, i was hand feeding it prawn withing 2 weeks.

what small community fish do you have in there, it will soon develop a taste for them, mine did approx 18-20 tetras in a week before i rehomed it.

Squiggles is correct about the electric charge, its how they hunt when the lights go out.

mHeinitz57 06-13-2007 10:44 AM

the ghost knives are actually almost completely blind. The don't just hunt by emmiting current, they move around that way too. They now sell caves that are made specifically for Ghost Knives and it is just a clear plastic tube. When the ghost goes inside of it, his electric signal he puts out tells him that he is hidden inside of a cave...but we can see him completely! In the pet store I work at we throw in clear hamster tubes so the knives can hide and feel safe but the customers can still see them. That being said, ghost knives are ambush hunters and live food may be more difficult to take. At the store I use frozen food that I thaw out and put right in front of them with a turkey baster.