Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cycling my aquarium (28 Days) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycling-my-aquarium-28-days-64036/)

banks720 02-28-2011 11:35 PM

Cycling my aquarium (28 Days)

Its been 28 days since I started my cycle my 29 gallon tank with a Goldfish :lol:. The Goldfish is doing real good. I checked my parameters today and the Ammonia was at 0.25ppm, Nitrate 0 ppm, and Nitrite at 0ppm. I think the ammonia in the tank should be at 0 ppm and the Nitrite should be the same thing for a well established aquarium. Its been like that for the past couple of days .Im not showing any Nitrate readings. Is it safe to add more fish to the tank even though the ammonia is at 0.25? If so how many should I add?

Lupin 02-28-2011 11:56 PM

Not showing nitrate at all???
What test kit are you using?

The pattern indicates you're still at the beginning of nitrogen cycle.:?

banks720 03-01-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 605353)
Not showing nitrate at all???
What test kit are you using?

The pattern indicates you're still at the beginning of nitrogen cycle.:?

I'm Using API master liquid test kit.

Lupin 03-01-2011 08:12 AM

I'm still doubtful adding any fish if your nitrate is zero. The only way for it to go zero is heavily planted setup or you did a large water change and tested water after that.

banks720 03-01-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 605598)
I'm still doubtful adding any fish if your nitrate is zero. The only way for it to go zero is heavily planted setup or you did a large water change and tested water after that.

As of right now, I have one live plant in my aquarium. If you take a look at my parameters, I havent seen any Nitrate readings and the ammonia has been at 0.25. I did a 50% change the on 27 February. Should I do another partial water change today?

Lupin 03-01-2011 09:32 AM

If you have not been getting nitrate readings at all, then I doubt you have bacteria in there converting ammonia to nitrite and, nitrite to nitrate at all. You're supposed to have nitrate readings to indicate stable nitrogen cycle taking place.

Do you vacuum your substrate at all?
How about a source for established filter media to jumpstart nitrogen cycle?

banks720 03-01-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 605683)
If you have not been getting nitrate readings at all, then I doubt you have bacteria in there converting ammonia to nitrite and, nitrite to nitrate at all. You're supposed to have nitrate readings to indicate stable nitrogen cycle taking place.

Do you vacuum your substrate at all?
How about a source for established filter media to jumpstart nitrogen cycle?

Yes, The last time that i did a water change, I vaccumed the gravel. What do u mean by a source for established filter media to jumpstart nitrogen cycle?

Lupin 03-01-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banks720 (Post 605720)
Yes, The last time that i did a water change, I vaccumed the gravel. What do u mean by a source for established filter media to jumpstart nitrogen cycle?

I mean if you have someone else who has a healthy tank system, ask him for his established filter media so you can instantly cycle your tank with the necessary beneficial bacteria already colonizing the media.

banks720 03-01-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 605722)
I mean if you have someone else who has a healthy tank system, ask him for his established filter media so you can instantly cycle your tank with the necessary beneficial bacteria already colonizing the media.

No, I dont know anybody else that has a healthy tank system. Would it benificial to add any chemicals to the tank? What would you recomend?

lipadj46 03-01-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banks720 (Post 605754)
No, I dont know anybody else that has a healthy tank system. Would it benificial to add any chemicals to the tank? What would you recomend?

You can try tetra safe start but before that I would shake the nitrate #2 solution, while banging it on a table for a minute before adding the 10 drops as it seems to be slightly souble in the soution.