Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Is this normal for kuhli loaches? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/normal-kuhli-loaches-63962/)

The Game 02-28-2011 12:52 AM

Is this normal for kuhli loaches?

I did a water change of my 26 gallon tank yesterday and today, i realised that there were around 4 or 5 of the 9 kuhli loaches resting on the tip of the highest plant closest to the surface and they went up to the surface for air like a corydoras would. I cannot provide any information about water parameters as i dont know any but this tank has been cycled and they were fine before this. Should i be concerned and if so, what can i do to help?

Lupin 02-28-2011 04:28 AM

If you don't have a kit, get the API liquid kit and test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Occasionally, kuhlis can cling around plants which is perfectly normal.

Is your water well aerated at all?
What's the temp?
What other fish do you have?
Are they exhibiting the same behavior?

The Game 02-28-2011 04:36 AM

Ive got 1 bristlenose, 6 peppered corys and 3 female fighters in the same tank. The temperature is around 25degrees celsius or 77 fahrenheit. I may have raised it slightly while doin water changes yesterday. The kuhlis are resting on the plant that reaches the surface and they are resting along the surface where tehy can stick their heads out for some air and this is also right in front of the output of the filter. I guess the water is fairly well aerated as I have plants in it (without co2) and i can see the surface of the water circulating. The rest of the fishes arent showing the same behaviour apart from the corys doing their usual act of going to the surface for air.

Lupin 02-28-2011 04:58 AM

I don't think I've seen my kuhlis do this before. They did rest on plants but not rest near the surface as if hoping to breathe out of the water in case the oxygen dips too much.

Is the tank heavily planted? Did this happen at night?

The Game 02-28-2011 05:06 AM

the tank is fairly heavily planted along the back with some penny wort and a lot of watersprite. They were fine with that amount of plants before though so im really confused :s and i noticed all this in the morning. any suggestions on waht i should do?

Lupin 02-28-2011 05:11 AM

Increase aeration at night. All loaches require plenty of oxygen, more than usual unlike most other tropicals.

The Game 02-28-2011 05:12 AM

how would i do that? and would lowering the temperature help too?

Lupin 02-28-2011 05:14 AM

No. Don't lower the temp anymore. Add another bubbler. Trouble is the plants also absorb oxygen at night. It's respiration period for them so they compete with fish for oxygen.

The Game 02-28-2011 05:16 AM

hmmm dont have one but i think i have the attachment for my filter that sends out bubbles with the output as well, ill try that first