Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Ropefish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/ropefish-6391/)

MattD 06-09-2007 08:50 PM

Ropefish?

Hi. I have a 40 gallon and was thinking of getting a Ropefish, since I've wanted one since I laid eyes on them. I understand they can get to 16", but various sources claim they usually grow smaller in home aquariums. Then there are reports of them getting to 36", then some say they only grow to 8".

My books also say they require 'special food needs', but doesn't specify. Does anyone have any tips? Advice? First-hand info? Is more than one required? Current tank contents is below. Also, water parameters are nearly stabilized, as my tank is completing the cycling process still. I won't be buying anything until they check out 100%.

Thanks!

Enzo 06-09-2007 09:59 PM

if u get one u need a VERY tight fitting lid they can jump far and theyre strong and they can eat your fish

Witchery 06-09-2007 11:35 PM

Ropefish are awesome but their tank mates do need to be bigger than their mouths. Foods such as bloodworms, feeder fish, insects eg crickets and shrimp pellets. They do like being with their own kind so I would suggest getting two if you decide on getting any.

Enzo 06-09-2007 11:48 PM

i kinda want one now would they eat bleeding heart tetras?

Lupin 06-10-2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enzo

No. Witchery has made it clear that their tankmates should not be too small to be eaten.

Enzo 06-10-2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enzo

No. Witchery has made it clear that their tankmates should not be too small to be eaten.

your post sounds like u sed no it wouldnt eat it cuz its too small so bleeding hearts would get tooled by the ropefish>?

The-Wolf 06-10-2007 01:19 AM

deep bodied fish such as bleeding hearts, widows, roberti tetras are safe to keep with ropefish.

my 4 like to eat prawn, jmc catfish pellets, hikari carnivorous pellets
and the occasional 'crab stick' (not really crab, mostly white fish)

as above, the tank should have a tight fitting hood, preferably with glass sliding covers too. they are well know escapologist and will go carpet walking given the chance. all holes(where cables etc enter) should be blocked with either duct tape or sponges.

MattD 06-10-2007 03:22 PM

Yes I read they're very good at finding ways out of tanks.

So a 40 gallon is suitable for Ropefish then?

The-Wolf 06-11-2007 02:36 AM

it would really depend on the foot print of the 40G
I have a tank that is 48"L x 15"W x 18"H and that is about 42G
it is perfectly suitable for a reedfish or 4.
however I have another tank that is 62G but that is only 39"L so it isn't suitable for them, even though it is a whole 20G more.

sazzy 06-11-2007 05:00 AM

i had a rope/reed fish they are great so much fun he did grow to 15" (but got bloat and died :cry:)
i think a 40g tank would be fine depending on other tank mates?