Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   convict had babies NEED HELP! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/convict-had-babies-need-help-639/)

mistergoodstuf 09-26-2006 06:57 PM

convict had babies NEED HELP!

so i just noticed that my convict had babies .. i believe it mated with my blood parrot because they're always around the babies protecting them .. i have no clue on what to do with them .. whats the procedure on raising baby fish?

Lupin 09-26-2006 07:04 PM

Blood Parrots are supposed to be sterile, not fertile. What are your other fish?
I have to admit I used to have a jellybean parrot(which is fertile) mating with my albino convict.:crazy:

mistergoodstuf 09-26-2006 07:07 PM

jellybean parrot? is that like an albino blood parrot? my, what i assume is a blood parrot, isnt orange .. could i possibly have a jellybean parrot also? i have a tiger oscar, jack dempsey, knifefish, and a pleco in the tank with them

Lupin 09-26-2006 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistergoodstuf
jellybean parrot? is that like an albino blood parrot? my, what i assume is a blood parrot, isnt orange .. could i possibly have a jellybean parrot also? i have a tiger oscar, jack dempsey, knifefish, and a pleco in the tank with them

Jellybean parrots are quite small compared to blood parrots. They reach 4 inches max. Mine is only about 7 cm and he was able to mate with my albino convict.:dunno:

mistergoodstuf 09-26-2006 07:16 PM

i'll try to post pics up later .. but what should i do? is raising babies easy to do? i really want to see how they turn out i.e color pattern and shape

Lupin 09-26-2006 07:19 PM

Quote:

i'll try to post pics up later .. but what should i do? is raising babies easy to do? i really want to see how they turn out i.e color pattern and shape

It is easy if you are prepared with foods. Buy liquid food designed for fry in your lfs. If not, try to cook a hard-boiled egg and remove the egg yolk, then suspend the egg yolk in the jar and get a medicine dropper. Squirt the food into the shoal of fry. Be careful not to overfeed. Feed them only when the fry are in free-swimming stage.
You can hatch brine shrimps if you like.

mistergoodstuf 09-26-2006 07:30 PM

do you suggest removing the babies and putting them in a separate tank?

Lupin 09-26-2006 07:31 PM

Quote:

do you suggest removing the babies and putting them in a separate tank?

As you want to keep them alive, then do so.:)

mistergoodstuf 09-26-2006 07:41 PM

how would i take them out? with something like a baster? would i put the parents in the tank with them too?

mistergoodstuf 09-26-2006 07:41 PM

how would i take them out? with something like a baster? would i put the parents in the tank with them too?