Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   10gal tank: What fish? (Have Tetra & Glo) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/10gal-tank-what-fish-have-tetra-63861/)

neocharles 02-26-2011 10:49 PM

10gal tank: What fish? (Have Tetra & Glo)

I have currently a 10 gallon tank with 2 tetra and 3 GloFish. Petsmart suggested I don't add more than ~5 at a time.

I would like to have more of each in here, and probably 1-2 algae eaters to assist in keeping my tank clean? (or something else similar?)

Any suggestions on time tables, or fish, to get?

Thanks!!

cornflakegirl 02-27-2011 02:05 AM

Hi there,
Im a beginner with the same size tank. I know i have too many fish in it though. 2 algae eaters, 2 glass catfish, 20 neon tetras, 4 black widow tetras, and two pearl gouramis!
Few...........i know...TOO many. i went to the aquarium shop and told them my size tank, and they said this would be fine .lol $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Its been a few months now, and i have'nt lost one.
If i were you, id stay with all neons.
Cheers.

Lupin 02-27-2011 04:31 AM

Charles, what are the pH and hardness levels of your tank water? I'll need to know this so I will know whether to suggest you snails or not. Snails of all kinds require hard and alkaline water as soft acidic water only erodes their shells. Most shell damages are irreparable and can kill the snails.

Your 10g has limited space. I'd say 4 glofish and 6 neons will be enough. Give them enough space to be comfortable where they are. You may have to settle with snails instead of adding bottom dwelling fish. A lot of fish need plenty of space.

If your tank is heavily planted, you can give cherry shrimps a try. Your fish may eat the larva but the adults will probably be safe.

Grimmjow 02-27-2011 06:33 AM

Glofish = zebra danio

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 598218)
Danio I do not recommend for a 10g tank, ever. This group of fish are active, they like to swim, more than say the rasbora and many characins. They need space, and do best in long tanks. There is no species of normal danio [this excludes the so-called dwarf species like Celestial Pearl Danio] that will do well in a 10g, and even a 20g is pushing limits.

Byron.

Lupin 02-27-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimmjow (Post 603620)
Glofish = zebra danio

I am aware of that however I find 10g in my opinion adequate for four of them.

neocharles 02-27-2011 08:55 AM

I have to bring my water in for more accurate testing, but the little cards I have hanging in there have PH between 7.8 and 8.0 I believe, and Ammonia <0.02ppm.

I am using the same water conditioner I use with my Betta.

But if memory serves correctly, many years ago when we had our house's water tested, we have really hard water....

--

Is there a downside to snails vs. some of the other species that perform the same job? I don't mind either way...

Lupin 02-27-2011 09:05 AM

If you aren't using Seachem Prime, I'd get one to detoxify ammonia. It becomes more toxic the higher the pH and temperature. Please test your nitrite and nitrate as well.

Which test kit was used?

pH is good enough for snails so you're good to go with that. Perhaps a lone nerite snail if you have adequate supply of algae. They will prefer nothing but algae after all. Mystery snails (Pomacea diffusa) also work but they need to be supplemented with foods you provide your fish to nourish them. Try two of them if you can get those. Either mystery snails or nerites work.

The problem now are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate until we find out those.

neocharles 02-27-2011 06:01 PM

I'll bring my water by to get tested and post the results.

What kind of pants do you suggest? I want to get some real plants vs. the fake ones (shopping mainly at petsmart). Any recommendations? I can pick those up after work and get them in. I read that Tetra like some floating plants to help "darken" the tank. Not sure about the Glo Fish - and then if I do get a snail, if they prefer anything as well.

neocharles 02-28-2011 06:05 PM

:( Had a casualty on one of my Glo Fish this morning :(

About to bottle some water and bring it to petsmart to test it... Not sure what's up.

neocharles 03-01-2011 07:08 AM

Well... the other two Zebra Danio died and I really have no clue why... the tetra seem to be doing okay, so we may just stick with them honestly....

(API 5 in 1 Test Strips)
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
pH: 7.0
Carbonate Hardness: 40-80
General Hardness: 30