Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Do you do anything like this? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/do-you-do-anything-like-63856/)

mdc928 02-26-2011 10:38 PM

Do you do anything like this?

My (our) tank is right next to my sons bed. We have a routine every night when it's bed time I lay down with my son and we watch the fish together. A lot of the time I put voices to the fish as if the fish wee talking to each other. My son loves it and laughs really hard when I do this with him.

The gouramis I always imagine using their tentacles/thin fins to read minds and communicate because I often see them touching the frogs or pleco with them. So I have given them somewhat of a genius criminal kind of voice.

Just wondering if anyone else does stuff like this with their kids. If not what other crazy stuff do you do?

Blabomb 02-26-2011 10:45 PM

Well my mom use to do stuff like this with me when I was a wee lad. It is something I hope to pass on to my kids one day :)

iamgray 03-01-2011 11:24 PM

I don't have kids but I often tell my cat the story of how i rescued and raised him. I'm not sure why... I mean, he's a cat, so I'm sure he doesn't really know what I'm saying - or care hehe. Maybe a part of it is that it reminds me that I have served a purpose, and small as it may be to me, to him it meant his life was saved.

PS. I think it's wonderful that you do that. i'm sure that at some point he will think he's too old for that and may be embarrassed by it (since adolescents are embarrassed by EVERYTHING!!), but in the long run they will become cherished memories and a source of smiles.

Calmwaters 03-03-2011 06:28 PM

Aww I think thats cute! I just read storys to mine and use funny voices for the characters.

pirasha 03-03-2011 06:42 PM

^_^ I give voices to animals all the time....don't have kids tho. Generally my friends think its funny...i think (perhaps their all just laughing over how crazy I am ^_^)

GwenInNM 03-03-2011 07:08 PM

mom and son :)

Good for you that you have these moments with your son. He will always remember them. I find myself doing that too, but more just with myself, though I have a 12 year old. I have the shrimp, say "Cool, here comes food. . no it's mine . . hey!" etc. etc. I love doing that. Great stress relief.

I remember when my daughter was 3 and we were leaving the library with a huge fish tank by the door, as we left she said, "Have nice day fish". I still remember how cute that was, the way she said that so sincerely to the fish. To this day she is a compassionate kid to both people and animals. Caring about animals is a great place to begin to building empathy.

Lucky child you have - enjoy these days. They do grow up so fast

Gwen

mdc928 03-03-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 608061)
Aww I think thats cute! I just read storys to mine and use funny voices for the characters.

Yeah, I have told him the story of the Three Pigs about 20 different ways. His favorite version is where all three pigs are at the house made of brick and the big bad wolf tries to trick them by banging on the door and yelling "POLICE SEARCH WARRANT OPEN THE DOOR!"

Calmwaters 03-03-2011 08:30 PM

LOL You sound like a great mom. He will look back at these times with you when he gets older and remember them and feel the love he gets from you.

mdc928 03-03-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 608098)
Good for you that you have these moments with your son. He will always remember them. I find myself doing that too, but more just with myself, though I have a 12 year old. I have the shrimp, say "Cool, here comes food. . no it's mine . . hey!" etc. etc. I love doing that. Great stress relief.

I remember when my daughter was 3 and we were leaving the library with a huge fish tank by the door, as we left she said, "Have nice day fish". I still remember how cute that was, the way she said that so sincerely to the fish. To this day she is a compassionate kid to both people and animals. Caring about animals is a great place to begin to building empathy.

Lucky child you have - enjoy these days. They do grow up so fast

Gwen

I love it when kids do stuff like that. My son has lots of empathy for animal and human alike, his dream is to become a vet.

mdc928 03-03-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 608220)
LOL You sound like a great mom. He will look back at these times with you when he gets older and remember them and feel the love he gets from you.

MOM?!?!?!? WTH? I'm his father!:lol: