Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   High Nitrates cannot get them down, what do I do (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/high-nitrates-cannot-get-them-down-63793/)

Pufferfish22 02-26-2011 08:21 AM

High Nitrates cannot get them down, what do I do

Help!!!! What am I doing wrong? My NitrAtes are sky high and I can't get them down.

I have a cycled 13g tank, (had a mini cycle when I got the fish that lasted for 2 weeks and finished 2 months ago)

* Ammonia 0, NitrIte 0, P.H. 8.2 NitrAtes 160.
* Brackish set up (S.G. 0.004)
* 4 x Java Ferns, sun glo light for 12 hours
* 4 x 1.5 - 2 inch F8 Puffers
* 2 x Filters - Stingray pump plus clearseal pump + airpump and 1 airstone running
* Temp 25
* 20% water change once per week, once a month all caves etc are moved and tank fully hoovered, and pumps rinsed clean in tank water.
* Fish are fed once per day with one day of fasting, they have frozen bloodworm/brineshrimp/krill/tubiflex/mussel meat (1 block 1cmx1cmx2cm) or 1 cockle which they eat within 2 minutes and never leave anything.

I have been adding Tetra Nitrate Minus at recommended amounts and it has had absolutely no effect on my nitrate levels what-so-ever, infact they've increased from 80 since I started to use it. We live in a very agricultural area with hard water, naturally high P.H. and nitrates in our water occuring at 40ppm.

Do you think moving up to a 90 litre tank will help? I wasn't going to move them up until they got a bit bigger but can easily move them now instead if it will help. What about Seamchem Purigen?

Any suggestions on methods/products to lower these nitrates would be very very welcome, I'm tearing my hair out and worried for my fish.

Many thanks xxx

Mikaila31 02-26-2011 08:25 AM

you need to do much larger water changes IMO, like 50% weekly if you can. What is tank stock? Also what test kit are you using?

lipadj46 02-26-2011 08:27 AM

Large (50%) water changes with prime daily until the nitrates get down. Also rinse your filter media in tank water and vacuum your substrate weekly.

Pufferfish22 02-26-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 602603)
you need to do much larger water changes IMO, like 50% weekly if you can. What is tank stock? Also what test kit are you using?

Tank stock is 4 x F8 puffers 1.5 - 2 inches and I use an API liquid test kit water has also been checked by a test at the LFS to be giving accurate results.

Pufferfish22 02-26-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lipadj46 (Post 602604)
Large (50%) water changes with prime daily until the nitrates get down. Also rinse your filter media in tank water and vacuum your substrate weekly.

Should have been clearer, sorry, the Filter medium is always rinsed in tank water taken out the tank (not in the tank) and when I do my weekly water change I always hoover the muck off the sunbstrate and then monthly move everything around to get into nooks and crannies, should I be doing this every week? Is there a particular type of Prime I should use, or is there just one?

lipadj46 02-26-2011 10:36 AM

Its just prime, a water conditioner that helps to detox nitrates but water changes will help the most. I would try to get to the bottom of where the nitrates are comming from.

jeaninel 02-26-2011 05:25 PM

Did you test your water straight out of the tap to see if you have any nitrates in it?

Pufferfish22 02-27-2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 603023)
Did you test your water straight out of the tap to see if you have any nitrates in it?

Hi yes, tested the water straight from the tap, did I do something wrong and got a false result?