Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   black mollie (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/black-mollie-6375/)

serpaekeeper45 06-07-2007 10:03 PM

black mollie

Hi i have 2 black mollies that i just got 2 days ago.one is adjusting just fine and swimming around and eating and acting normal,however the other one just sits at the top in the corner and puts his(or her)lips on the surface of the water and does nothing but breathes.when i feed them sometimes he/she comes and eats a little then goes back to his corner.
he/she has a white spot just above his eye,and i dont know if its ick or not. please help

Enzo 06-07-2007 10:30 PM

sometimes if i fish continually breathes right from the surface it mean the amonia is to high try testing for it.

serpaekeeper45 06-07-2007 11:05 PM

the amonia is pretty high.about 65 ppm or whatever it is,anyway how do i lower it?water change?

Enzo 06-07-2007 11:11 PM

i think so

serpaekeeper45 06-07-2007 11:13 PM

ok thanks!its midnight so ill do it in the morning.thanx enzo.

Falina 06-08-2007 06:31 AM

65ppm???? Surely it's 6.5 or something? Even that is really high!

Do partial water changes. If it's 6.5 then change 50% and then change another 25% every day until it reads 0. This level of amonia is highly toxic for fish.

Also if one is doing well and one is not, could it be that the one that ia doing well is a male, and the one who is not is a female. A ratio of 2-3 females per 1 male should be kept otherwise the males will harass the female to breed, often until the death of the female through stress. If you have one male and one female I would either return one, or get another female or 2.

serpaekeeper45 06-08-2007 09:11 AM

ok.i thinkhe/she has ick.he/she has white spots on her eyes and all over her body.how do i treat this.just take it back to the pet store?

kat1103 06-08-2007 09:39 PM

Take the infected fish out of the tank right away so it doesnt infect the other fish. I would definetly take it back if I was you.

Amphitrite 06-09-2007 06:27 AM

Justin, if the fish is sufferening from ich (whitespot), then the whole tank will require treatment.

Do you have complete current tank readings i.e. ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

mHeinitz57 06-09-2007 09:17 AM

are these the only 2 fish in the aquarium? How large is the tank? I agree that having a single male and a single female could by why the one fish is hiding in the corner. More females will take the attention off of her and she would come out more if that were the problem. Even if they are both males or both females, it is not uncommon to have a dominate molly in the tank...they can be nasty community fish. If these are the only 2 fish in there, I would take them both back to the store. The Ich parasite needs to find a host body (another fish or even a live plant) within about 48 hours for it to continue reproducing. If you take the two fish out and leave the tank without fish or plants for at least 2 days, the Ich will pretty much die off within the tank. Raising the temperature can actually speed that up sometimes. Keep in mind that pretty much every tank has Ich in it, most fish can fight it off regularly though and you never notice it. In a high stress situation (high ammonia or aggressive tankmates), Ich can spread fast. So if there are just the two fish in there, take them back, change 50 % of the water, raise the temp and let it sit a few days. If there are other fish in there than the tank should be treated with an ich medication. Aquarium salt is also a great idea to use and the mollies will love it. Youre first line of defense against ich though is getting that water quality better. Do a 50% water change and continue doing smaller changes until the ammonia comes down to regular perameters. I would also suggest a bacteria starter supplement. Cycle is very popular but I suggest either Stablity by Seachem or BioSpira by Marineland. THis will help seed the tank with bacteria that will break down that ammonia and nitrite as it forms. The fact that your ammonia got that high signifies that enough bacteria is not forming in your tank for some reason.