Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   HELP!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-6367/)

mac&fish 06-07-2007 02:32 PM

HELP!!

Just go back from my daughter's 5th grade grauation to find one of my male bettas has committed suicide. He jumped out of his bowl and laid dead on the counter. I could tell he wasn't feeling well the last 3 days. He just laid at the bottom of the bowl and would come up for a gasp of air every so often. I have had him about 2 months and have changed his water religiously and cleaned his tank and everything. He seemed so happy up until 3 days ago. He used to eat right out off my finger tip. I am so upset and am afraid to find the other one might do the same thing.

Any clues you could give would be greatly appreciated.

anemone 06-07-2007 02:58 PM

Very sorry to hear of your loss :(

Had you just changed the water in his tank when he became ill by chance?

Please provide details of your tank setup & water parameters

tangy 06-07-2007 03:01 PM

bettas tend to jump out of bowls and tanks, wich is why you need to have a tank cover to keep 'em from getting out. oh, and welcome to the fishforum community! :D

mac&fish 06-08-2007 08:52 PM

Help!

THe water in the container had been changed about 5 days prior to the fish getting sick.

The fishbowl is a footed pedestal that holds approx. 1.5 gallons of water. The water is from the tap but then treated with Top Fin water conditioner. I have colored glass beads that are rounded at the bottom with a fake acquarium plant.

The other fish seems to be doing ok in his own container.

Where did I go wrong?

GW 06-08-2007 08:56 PM

It sounds like you did what you could and gave that Betta a better home than most do...Accidents do happen.
Next time you may want to try a vented lid(screen or similar) to prevent the occasional skydive.

mHeinitz57 06-09-2007 09:04 AM

yeah, the betta's natural environment is basically puddles of water from rice paddies. The travel from puddle to puddle (when it's not flood season) by wiggling pretty much out of the water and into the next puddle. I assure you that you're betta did not commit suicide, it is pretty natural to see bettas try to move onto the next bowl (even when there isn't one there). I agree, it seems like you took more care of it than most people. What other fish did you have with it? Although the betta has an aggressive stereotype, there are plenty of fish that would love to nip at those huge fins. Bettas can be kept with many fish but in a small bowl, the water quality can get bad very quickly (before 5 days) and the betta can become stressed out easily with consistent contact with another fish. You did well though, don't kick yourself for it and I hope you continue on in the fish hobby.