Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Will RCS eat hair algae? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/will-rcs-eat-hair-algae-63666/)

DKRST 02-24-2011 07:53 PM

Will RCS eat hair algae?
 
I'm anticipating some RCS in the near future and was wondering if they eat the green hair algae. Not certain if that's the technical name, but it looks like hair and it's green!

The algae is not overrunning my tank, but it could do with a little trimming.

coolcucumber 02-24-2011 08:34 PM

Id like to know that aswell, its in my tank too :D

aunt kymmie 02-25-2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 600848)
I'm anticipating some RCS in the near future and was wondering if they eat the green hair algae. Not certain if that's the technical name, but it looks like hair and it's green!

The algae is not overrunning my tank, but it could do with a little trimming.

I have zero hair algae in my RCS tank, so either they eat it or I simply don't have it in this tank. I have zero algae in my shrimp tank, other than the few green spot algae on the glass, which no one eats. RCS are fantastic algae eaters!
Monday is shipping day. :-)

DKRST 02-25-2011 08:59 AM

Thanks again for the shrimp(!), I'm looking forward to the RCS!
Any special acclimatizing info I need to know about when I introduce the shrimp to the tank?

aunt kymmie 02-25-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 601518)
Thanks again for the shrimp(!), I'm looking forward to the RCS!
Any special acclimatizing info I need to know about when I introduce the shrimp to the tank?

They are coming from a tank with a ph of 7.4, so I would just do an acclimation where the ph in the bag (7.4) ends up equaling what your ph is. I'd do the standard floating of the bag, adding some of your tank water to the bag every 15 minutes until the ph is equal to the tank. I'm going to send you some Almond Almond leaves with the shrimp, which are fantastic for a breeding shrimp tank. Did I give you a link of where to purchase the leaves?? Can't recall...

DKRST 02-26-2011 10:03 PM

Nope, no link, but I'd appreciate it. One more question regarding RCS - how bad are they about climbing out of a tank? I don't have a cover over 1/2 the tank, just a light, but I can set a cover up quickly.

aunt kymmie 02-26-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 603291)
Nope, no link, but I'd appreciate it. One more question regarding RCS - how bad are they about climbing out of a tank? I don't have a cover over 1/2 the tank, just a light, but I can set a cover up quickly.

I've never seen mine ever above the water line so I want to say that you don't need it covered, unleess someone knows otherwise??

Here's Amy's link, she's great, as is her product and pricing:

Amy's Ketapang Indian Almond Leaves Catappa items - Get great deals on blackwater breeding teabags items on eBay Stores!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2