Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Best Molly to dwell with shellies or multies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/best-molly-dwell-shellies-multies-63655/)

rsnprocess 02-24-2011 05:21 PM

Best Molly to dwell with shellies or multies

What is the best Molly to dwell with Neolamprologus Multifaciatus?

Lupin 02-24-2011 10:03 PM

How big is the tank?
How many neos do you have?
Any other fish in there?

rsnprocess 02-24-2011 10:49 PM

tank size

Right now the two of them are in an 8 gallon biocube. I plan on moving them to a 15 gallon (24 in. long) tank when I know if they are a pair or not. I really don't want to breed these.

My desire to put something else in with them came from how they changed when I took out their tankmates.
I had 2 honey gourami in with them before I knew they were cichlids (they were sold to me by mistake). They were quite brave and eager to find food when the honeys were in with them. I took the honeys out (and put them into a larger community tank) because the mulites were beating them out of food and chasing them a little. Now by themselves the multies hide most of the time. I thought with a "dither" fish in there perhaps I'd get to see them more, like I did when they had the honeys there as what I think were dither fish to them. I thought I'd wait until spring to move them to the 15 gallon, thinking by then I should know if they are a pair. I've had them since Dec. 1, 2010. With the honeys out of there I've slowly raised the PH and added some cichlid salt and a few shells.

What do you think?

rsnprocess 02-24-2011 10:51 PM

tank size

Right now the two of them are in an 8 gallon biocube. I plan on moving them to a 15 gallon (24 in. long) tank when I know if they are a pair or not. I really don't want to breed these.

My desire to put something else in with them came from how they changed when I took out their tankmates.
I had 2 honey gourami in with them before I knew they were cichlids (they were sold to me by mistake). They were quite brave and eager to find food when the honeys were in with them. I took the honeys out (and put them into a larger community tank) because the mulites were beating them out of food and chasing them a little. Now by themselves the multies hide most of the time. I thought with a "dither" fish in there perhaps I'd get to see them more, like I did when they had the honeys there as what I think were dither fish to them. I thought I'd wait until spring to move them to the 15 gallon, thinking by then I should know if they are a pair. I've had them since Dec. 1, 2010. With the honeys out of there I've slowly raised the PH and added some cichlid salt and a few shells now that I know what they are.

What do you think?

Lupin 02-24-2011 10:59 PM

How about balloon mollies? No sailfins. They're too big for the tank. Some guppies (not the fancy ones) may also work as well as platies.

rsnprocess 02-24-2011 11:51 PM

Thanks so much. Guppies and platies can handle the PH and the salt?

Lupin 02-24-2011 11:59 PM

Yes, they can.

rsnprocess 02-25-2011 12:25 AM

what about the harlequin rasbora; can they handle the higher PH and salt?

Lupin 02-25-2011 12:27 AM

No, they can't. The ones I mentioned are your best bets.