Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Pregnant Female Guppy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/pregnant-female-guppy-6365/)

GW 06-07-2007 11:51 AM

Pregnant Female Guppy

Last night it started(or at least I noticed it then) for the first time.
One of my "Ready to Pop" pregnant female guppies is actually picking on a fish 4-5 times larger than her :shock:
She's been pecking at the tanks GoldFish...so persistant that she will turn him/her on thier side while pecking :evil: All he/she wants to do is get away and it seems like the GoldFish is saying "Hey what did I ever do to you...Just leave me alone".
The GoldFish never bothers anyone and is as peaceful as the day is long.
Is this normal for Guppies while pregnant and will it cease or should I separate them???????
(Yes I know the GoldFish needs to be in a different tank for water conditions to be optimal for it but it's not affordable right now)
Any Suggestions????????

squiggles1 06-07-2007 11:55 AM

i've never noticed a pregnant guppy do that before. usually whenever mine were about to have them she'ld go to the top and just stay there for a couple days before she had them and didn't bother anybody.

GW 06-07-2007 11:57 AM

Thanks Squiggles...I'm new to the "Guppy" scene and have been wondering at every turn whats normal or not.

squiggles1 06-07-2007 02:53 PM

also you should see a dark spot right where the babies will come out. Guppies will eat there young too, so if you want to try to save them a breeder tank or alot of plants will help.

anemone 06-07-2007 03:34 PM

Never seen any of my guppies pick on anything, even their own kind!!

Weird :!:

GW 06-07-2007 06:36 PM

:x Well...I've spent the rest of this afternoon here chasing Guppies and tearing up plants in the process. :x
I have all the pregnant females right now in a large plastic Colander that is stuffed down into the 10g Fry Nursery tank. The rest of the fish are in a 48quart cooler with an Airstone waiting to go back into the 29g tank when it gets back to the right Temperature. :?
I ended up doing a Water Change, removing the Undergravel Filtration system, and redesigning the tank a bit...since most of the plants were lifted out of the gravel and the water was a mess :evil:
Take a look at how my tank looked, then imagine how much fun it was to catch any fish, let alone the nippy female guppy who was the absolute last to be caught.....She knew she was being hunted :twisted:
She will probably stay in the Colander until she drops her load of fry...then she gets one (1) more chance back in the big tank. If she gets mean again...LFS here she comes :!:

GW 06-08-2007 09:48 PM

This female Guppy is now back in the 29g tank along with her sisters, the male guppy, the black neons, and the "Cory Gang".
I made the decision to move all the fry back into the 29g and give T.A.G.(GoldFish) his own tank 8)
I watched the Fry being chased a little bit but those little critters can Move...and Fast too! :shock:
The "Red Rock Inn" is alot more active with the Guppys all back together and swimming around freely!
New Picture of the redesigned tank layout to come soon :wink:

P.S. That female guppy had no idea how close it came to being...Oscar Food :twisted: