Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   HELP!!! Shrimp: What do you know for sure? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-shrimp-what-do-you-know-63608/)

Inga 02-24-2011 06:46 AM

HELP!!! Shrimp: What do you know for sure?

I know there have been Shrimp discussions and for some reason, I think I was deterred by some of the info. Now however, I was sort of talked into trying some shrimp. Someone was telling me that Shrimp really clean out the gravel and they also go up onto the plants and eat any bits of food left by the fish or algae that might be growing. Is that true? Would they hurt any of the fish? I have 2 tanks I might add them to.

In one tank I have Guppies and a Pleco. I also have 2 Assassin snails and 2 large Mystery snails. I wouldn't want the shrimp to hurt any of them. I was thinking of Ghost shrimp or Red cherry Shrimp but not sure of the differences?

In the other tank I have Gourami, Tiger Barbs, Platy, Rainbow Shark and Cories. Also the Mystery snails and a few Assassins.

If Shrimp would be a benefit to these tanks and would not hurt the fish, how many would I need and which kind is best?

What would be the downside to owning shrimp?

1077 02-24-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 600215)
I know there have been Shrimp discussions and for some reason, I think I was deterred by some of the info. Now however, I was sort of talked into trying some shrimp. Someone was telling me that Shrimp really clean out the gravel and they also go up onto the plants and eat any bits of food left by the fish or algae that might be growing. Is that true? Would they hurt any of the fish? I have 2 tanks I might add them to.

In one tank I have Guppies and a Pleco. I also have 2 Assassin snails and 2 large Mystery snails. I wouldn't want the shrimp to hurt any of them. I was thinking of Ghost shrimp or Red cherry Shrimp but not sure of the differences?

In the other tank I have Gourami, Tiger Barbs, Platy, Rainbow Shark and Cories. Also the Mystery snails and a few Assassins.

If Shrimp would be a benefit to these tanks and would not hurt the fish, how many would I need and which kind is best?

What would be the downside to owning shrimp?

I have been considering shrimp as well and would go with the cherry shrimp which are said to breed readily and are harmless to fish.It is the fish who could harm/eat the shrimp and i would not place them in the second tank you mentioned for that reason.
Don't think guppies would bother them but fish in second tank would.
Ghost shrimp are cheaper but I'm going to try cherry shrimp. almost bought them this morning but opted for more plant's until weather is warmer. I'm nervous about shipping livestock in cold months but that's just me.

Lupin 02-24-2011 08:02 AM

Already talked this in chat. Guppies, platies and cories are safe especially if tank is heavily planted. Young sailfin plecos are safe but not adults. The rest of the fish mentioned especially opaline gouramis will harass the shrimps. Ghost shrimps may stand a chance better than cherries as cherries are smaller.

On rare occasions, assassins can eat shrimps. Only if the shrimp is dumb enough not to escape though.

Inga 02-24-2011 08:04 AM

but... If the fish DID eat the occasional shrimp, it wouldn't make them sick, right?

Lupin 02-24-2011 08:06 AM

Nope.

Astrid 02-24-2011 03:13 PM

I have ghost shrimp in my 25 gallon tank, which also is home to Mollies, platies and an albino bristlenose pleco and everyone gets along great with the shrimp and the shrimp don't bother anyone else.....

Inga 02-24-2011 04:02 PM

Well after bringing my dog to therapy, we stopped at the Petsmart in Fox Valley. They didn't have any shrimp so... still none in my tank. I might go look at another store across town to see if they have any.

zof 02-24-2011 07:38 PM

I had some ghost shrimp in some of my tanks, 2 in a tank with a blue gourami and they both disappeared...., 3 in my main tank with a gold gourami that did fine until they disappeared by the hand of god, when I saw one of them munching on a guppie fry about a month old I was looking forward to seeing grow up.

aunt kymmie 02-24-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 600229)
I have been considering shrimp as well and would go with the cherry shrimp which are said to breed readily and are harmless to fish.It is the fish who could harm/eat the shrimp and i would not place them in the second tank you mentioned for that reason.
Don't think guppies would bother them but fish in second tank would.
Ghost shrimp are cheaper but I'm going to try cherry shrimp. almost bought them this morning but opted for more plant's until weather is warmer. I'm nervous about shipping livestock in cold months but that's just me.

What's to going price for the RCS down your way? Once it gets warmer I'd he happy to ship you a handle for no cost, other than the postage to get them there, you just let me know!

Inga- same goes for you!

1077 02-25-2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 601258)
What's to going price for the RCS down your way? Once it gets warmer I'd he happy to ship you a handle for no cost, other than the postage to get them there, you just let me know!

Inga- same goes for you!

Thank you Kymmie, That would be great.
I was going to have to order them, and it would be around seventy bucks for approx a dozen including shipping.
I shall give a shout when I' m ready and weather is warmer.Sky just opened up and dumped another six inches of snow here ,twelve to sixteen inches if you account for drifting on east west roads.:roll: