Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   plants instead of cycling (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plants-instead-cycling-63397/)

alidawn15 02-22-2011 03:10 AM

plants instead of cycling

Are Anacharis(6-8stems), Hornwort(6-8stems), water wisteria(1),Sagittaria Subulata (Dwarf) (1),Jungle Val(1) and Bacopa Monnieri (1) enough plants to use the ammonia from a male betta in a 10 gal?

Would those same plants support a few danios, a mystery snail or perhaps a pair, and ghost shrimp in the same tank?

1077 02-22-2011 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alidawn15 (Post 597998)
Are Anacharis(6-8stems), Hornwort(6-8stems), water wisteria(1),Sagittaria Subulata (Dwarf) (1),Jungle Val(1) and Bacopa Monnieri (1) enough plants to use the ammonia from a male betta in a 10 gal?

Would those same plants support a few danios, a mystery snail or perhaps a pair, and ghost shrimp in the same tank?

Could possibly deal with ammonia from one Betta ,a mystery snail, and half dozen shrimp but I would wait until the plant's have been established and some new growth is seen for if they are Dying(plant's),then they will only add to water quality problems.
The danios and Betta don't share similar temperature. Danios prefer cooler water around 75 degrees F while bettas would prefer 79 to 82 degrees F . Also note that not much that swims is quicker at grabbing food than the danios and betta would struggle to get it's share of food. IMHO

alidawn15 02-22-2011 04:24 AM

I'm not too particular to the Danios, but the betta is already in the tank. I have access to a filter if I have to use it. Sweetaquatics will be getting some business from me very soon either way. So much for getting fish for my birthday(in about a week). If the plants are put in the tank in the next week how long would it take before I would know if it was going to be safe to add snails and shrimp?

1077 02-22-2011 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alidawn15 (Post 598010)
I'm not too particular to the Danios, but the betta is already in the tank. I have access to a filter if I have to use it. Sweetaquatics will be getting some business from me very soon either way. So much for getting fish for my birthday(in about a week). If the plants are put in the tank in the next week how long would it take before I would know if it was going to be safe to add snails and shrimp?

Well then,, just to be safe,,,add some borrowed filter material to the filter on the tank you are planting, and try the snails (one or two) and shrimp. Just be ready to perform water change if needed.
Not sure about mystery snails and plant's ,Lupin would know better but some snails will snack on plant's and other's need a period of hibernation. I get confused between them (apple snails,mystery snails).:dunno:

Byron 02-22-2011 10:53 AM

I agree, the Betta will be fine with the plants.

Danio I do not recommend for a 10g tank, ever. This group of fish are active, they like to swim, more than say the rasbora and many characins. They need space, and do best in long tanks. There is no species of normal danio [this excludes the so-called dwarf species like Celestial Pearl Danio] that will do well in a 10g, and even a 20g is pushing limits.

Byron.

alidawn15 02-22-2011 03:10 PM

It's an old filter that's been dry for a few years :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Lupin 02-22-2011 06:42 PM

The Pomacea diffusa are mystery snails but they are still part of the family, Ampullaridae (apple snails). They're one of the few that do not eat plants. The canas on the other hand, will eat plants like no tomorrow.

P.S. I wouldn't keep the apple snails in temp more than 78 degrees. They tend to age quickly and die after that. Mystery snails have a lifespan of only 2-3 years so it's very short.

alidawn15 02-22-2011 11:05 PM

The heater I have heats to +\-78 so I would still be okay wouldn't I?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lupin 02-22-2011 11:07 PM

Yep, it'll work.

alidawn15 02-22-2011 11:16 PM

I guess I'll be able to get the things I wanted somewhat soon then. Luckily 2snails and a half dozen shrimp are only about $5 too :). Is your name by chance a Harry Potter reference?
Posted via Mobile Device