Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Help - Weird Sphere Outgrowth on Fish Lip (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-weird-sphere-outgrowth-fish-lip-63359/)

Khadgerler 02-21-2011 07:01 PM

Help - Weird Sphere Outgrowth on Fish Lip

Hey, recently I noticed that there is a weird sphere white bubble outgrowth or wart on one of my Bosemani Rainbow's lip. I don't think its cottonmouth as it is pretty smooth rather than "cottony" shape. The sphere seems to have an attachment to the lip through a small tube structure and the sphere is attached to the end of the tube growth...if that makes anyways. I have some pictures here to help. If someone could identify it and how to treat...I would really appreciate it and thanks for the time.

Water condition is pretty clean as I do weekly water changes with 15 plants in a 25g. No other fish exhibits these symptoms and the the rainbow seems to be acting normal.

Picture 1 - Imgur
Picture 2 - Imgur

Tried my best to get a good pictures. Again, thanks for any responses.

Khad

Lupin 02-21-2011 07:14 PM

Separate the fish. It is easily bacterial in nature especially if it bursts.

What are the water parameters?
Have you observed this fish getting an injury before?

Once separated, try to dose a teaspoon per gallon of salt in the tank and add the second set in the next 12 hours. Stick to 0.2% dose for now. See if this helps improve the cyst after a few days.

What antibiotics do you currently have?

Khadgerler 02-21-2011 08:40 PM

What are you thoughts on it being bacteria? White and puss like and sphere like? What are viral and fungal characteristics?

Water Parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, very low nitrate...pH is 7.2 through test strips. No, I haven't observed this fish injuring herself or getting injured. Very friendly fish community. Temperature 78F. The tank is 3 months old.

I currently don't have a quarantine tank up...should I definitely set one up? And to just set one up, just any small size with filter for water?

Lupin 02-21-2011 08:53 PM

A 10g with a few fake plants for refuge, a heater and a sponge filter is enough for quarantine purposes.

I've seen plenty of cases involving cysts. It's not new to me. They're usually bacterial and bacterial infections are common with fish, mostly through injuries. True fungal infections are very rare.

When you move the fish, get the opportunity to touch the cyst and see if it feels hard or soft. Don't squash or remove it though or else the open ulcer from it will kill the fish quickly.

Khadgerler 02-21-2011 09:05 PM

Cysts, got'ca. First time treating fish. Any antibiotics should I try first to use?

I'll definately come back and report outcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lupin 02-21-2011 09:16 PM

No, use the salt first.

Where are you located? Do you have access to kanamycin? It's just a little extra in case you do need it.

Khadgerler 02-21-2011 09:25 PM

New to treatments. How much salt should I dilute the water with? For a couple of days? If no luck start with kanamycin? In St. Louis and hit the store tomorrow for supplies.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lupin 02-21-2011 09:31 PM

Give it a week treatment. Add a teaspoon per gallon of sodium chloride followed by another set of same dose in the next 12 hours. We'll stick to 2 teaspoons per gallon total dose for now. Make sure salt does NOT contain yellow prussiate of soda. Aquarium salt, pickling salt and rock salt work.

Khadgerler 02-21-2011 09:54 PM

Thanks Lupin, I'll give it a try and keep you posted.

Khadgerler 02-22-2011 08:39 PM

Lupin, I just got around with getting the quarantine tank supplies, but I noticed that the cyst has fallen off and the lip is a bit still white to a point where I wouldn't have noticed if there was a problem. Should I continue and move the fish into the tank and do a week salt treatment still to promote healing? Thanks.