Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   PH not going down (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ph-not-going-down-63326/)

aSpiritusSancti 02-21-2011 11:24 AM

PH not going down

Hey i been trying to lower my ph and it seems like it wont go down at all a few days ago it was at about 8.0 now its at 8.2

i use some of the somthing fishy brands powder stuff to mnake it go to 7.0 from high or low ph and i also had a diff brand but im all out of that...

so my question is why is my ph not going down and what can i do to fix it. whats the best way besides a reverse osmosis machine.

Byron 02-21-2011 06:01 PM

I hope there are no fish in this tank. Fluctuating ph is far more detrimental to fish than a steady pH even if not within their preferred range.

The reason the chemicals are not doing the job of lowering the pH probably has to do with the hardness of the source water. Do you know the hardness of your tap water, both GH and KH? The water supply people can tell you this, some have websites with the water parameters listed, and what's in the water. I|f you can give us the numbers, we can explain the reason.

Byron.

Lupin 02-21-2011 06:05 PM

Which fish are you keeping that you need to lower the pH?

aSpiritusSancti 02-21-2011 06:20 PM

Fish r in there red glass barb a oscar and a rainbow shark and a red wag platy or w.e n i need to lower it cause it says they should be around 7ish. And i believe the guy said its a 4 for hardness.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lupin 02-21-2011 06:22 PM

Meh. Forget the pH fiddling. Those fish will be absolutely fine without the need to fiddle with your pH.

aSpiritusSancti 02-21-2011 06:24 PM

They look fine. No signs or anything. Just askin to get opinons
Posted via Mobile Device

Lupin 02-21-2011 06:25 PM

Sooo there's no need for you to fiddle with the pH. It always amuses me some folks (not you) think every domesticated fish needs neutral pH when it harms the fish to fiddle it than keep it steady.:rofl:

Byron 02-21-2011 06:32 PM

I agree with Lupin. Leave it alone for those fish.

aSpiritusSancti 02-23-2011 04:18 PM

sweet thanks guys. i wont fiddle with it. but if i had 2 10 gallon jugs. and i put water in them and let them sit for a few days and used that for my water would that be better then my hard water from the tap?

Byron 02-23-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aSpiritusSancti (Post 599692)
sweet thanks guys. i wont fiddle with it. but if i had 2 10 gallon jugs. and i put water in them and let them sit for a few days and used that for my water would that be better then my hard water from the tap?

No. Hardness is caused by minerals in the water, and the only way to remove them is through something like RO (reverse osmosis), distillation, boiling.

You can dilute tap water with other water, such as RO, rainwater (be careful how and where you collect it), distilled water, or bottled water (but some of these contain minerals and other stuff). But in your case as we mentioned it is not necessary. It is easier long-term to use what is readily available, and select fish that will manage in that.