Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   My blood parrot fish are dying cant figure out why (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/my-blood-parrot-fish-dying-cant-63283/)

angelm123 02-20-2011 09:50 PM

My blood parrot fish are dying cant figure out why

1 Attachment(s)
I had 3 blood parrot fish in a 45 gallon bow front tank. They are around 8 years old. Have had minimal problems until about 5 months ago the tank got green algae in it. I purchased a ultraviolet sterilizer which cleared it right up. The water was beautiful crystal clear. Within a couple of weeks they started getting what I thought to be ich. Anyway they get white spots on them which quickly develops into long strings hanging from their scales. I treat for ich with Rid Ich malachite green and formaldehyde keep the temperature up do water changes every other day. It goes away couple of days later it comes right back. I go through the entire process again-within a few days it comes right back. Early yesterday I did a 1/2 tank water change cleaned the filters vacuumed the gravel-as usual the tank and my fish looked awesome before going to bed. This morning I woke up to one completely covered and floating. Oddly enough every time I treat with Ich medication I remove the carbon as soon as I add carbon (of course added back after 4 days) back the problem starts again. I can find no information about whatever this is. Anyone know. If relevant I have taken all the decor out over a month ago run a bubble aerator line and have 2 silver dollars 1 placo and one scissor tail in the the tank. Thanks so much :cry: I will miss Fred very much

BrandonJ 02-20-2011 10:11 PM

What I'm thinking is that 4 days isn't long enough, when you put the carbon back into the tank it pulls out the meds and the ick isn't completely gone. Try treating your tank again for 4 days, as you have done before , but instead of on the 4th day putting your carbon back in, hit it for ick again bringing the entire process time to 8 days. I'm no expert on Ick but I know carbon can remove your meds from the tank.

Hopefully you get some more replys on this,
Cheers.

jeaninel 02-20-2011 10:33 PM

Doesn't look like ich to me. Maybe fungal or bacterial.

OscarLoverJim 02-21-2011 02:28 PM

lymphocystis?

angelm123 02-21-2011 09:23 PM

Hi Thanks so much for the information. Just wondering I have googled lymphocystis and found that most infected fished have lessions or sores. Mine had what appeared to be long strings or threads coming from the white areas on his scales. They appear rapidly and can go away overnight oddly enough. Are you familiar enough with the infection to know if this could be an accurate symptom of lymphocystis? Thanks so much for your help I lost my largest Blood Parrot Sunday and hope to save the two I have left.

OscarLoverJim 02-22-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelm123 (Post 597782)
Hi Thanks so much for the information. Just wondering I have googled lymphocystis and found that most infected fished have lessions or sores. Mine had what appeared to be long strings or threads coming from the white areas on his scales. They appear rapidly and can go away overnight oddly enough. Are you familiar enough with the infection to know if this could be an accurate symptom of lymphocystis? Thanks so much for your help I lost my largest Blood Parrot Sunday and hope to save the two I have left.

Yeah I'm not sure, I suggested lymphocystis because I once had an outbreak in a molly tank and it produced white stringy stuff coming from the scale tumors. Terrible disease.

Your issue could still be some form of bacterial infection, I hope so since that would make antibiotics useful.

Check out Mardel's symptom lists for their Maracyn products.

Hope everything works out.

coolcucumber 02-26-2011 10:15 PM

I would think an external parasite? If they're hanging from their gills, and even if they arent, its an option :)

Lupin 02-27-2011 04:14 AM

This thread is confusing me.

Please outline the ich treatment you did. When you treat for ich, you are supposed to continue another 10 days of treatment right after ich disappears to ensure the ich is completely eliminated. Keep your temp consistently at 80 degrees Fahrenheit at least. I will not advise elevating it any further as this sounds like a mixed infection of parasites and bacteria, both being symbiotic with each other. Flexibacter columnare latches on the ich allowing both pathogens to work together. Once the ich pries open the skin exposing the blood vessels of your fish, the columnaris itself starts to establish on the fish.

Use aquarium salt and STOP the malachite green - formalin combo. The salt will kill off the free swimming ich parasites and keep columnaris at bay. This is assuming however that the columnaris case is only mild and not advanced. Advanced cases require antibiotics.

Dispose your used carbon. You will NOT need the carbon anymore at this point. I prefer to use carbon only to remove the meds once treatment course is done however water changes work the same way and are more advantageous than activated carbon.

Just in case, where are you located?
What is the current update of your fish?

angelm123 02-27-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 603583)
This thread is confusing me.

Please outline the ich treatment you did. When you treat for ich, you are supposed to continue another 10 days of treatment right after ich disappears to ensure the ich is completely eliminated. Keep your temp consistently at 80 degrees Fahrenheit at least. I will not advise elevating it any further as this sounds like a mixed infection of parasites and bacteria, both being symbiotic with each other. Flexibacter columnare latches on the ich allowing both pathogens to work together. Once the ich pries open the skin exposing the blood vessels of your fish, the columnaris itself starts to establish on the fish.

Use aquarium salt and STOP the malachite green - formalin combo. The salt will kill off the free swimming ich parasites and keep columnaris at bay. This is assuming however that the columnaris case is only mild and not advanced. Advanced cases require antibiotics.

Dispose your used carbon. You will NOT need the carbon anymore at this point. I prefer to use carbon only to remove the meds once treatment course is done however water changes work the same way and are more advantageous than activated carbon.

Just in case, where are you located?
What is the current update of your fish?

I actually lost my second Blood Parrot Saturday night which traumatized me. So I'm down to one lost lonely one. I have continually treated for Ich for the last two months. After about 2 weeks each time I put a fresh carbon filter back it would come right back. I have kept the temperature at a consistent 80 degrees. I agree in thinking that there was more than one problem that still exists. I will stop using the malachite and continue with the salts and no carbon filter in high hopes that I do not lose my last baby. I am located in Danville Virginia. All the other fish I have-have not appeared to be affected at any point. My last blood parrot looks okay right now however when I checked the one that died Saturday night he looked perfectly fine, which really through me for a loop. I thank you so much for your useful information and time.

Lupin 02-28-2011 04:33 AM

I'm sorry about the second blood parrot.:sad:

I think we'll try to look further into this. Check the gills and poop. Tell me how they exactly look.

The blood parrot isn't scratching at all?

It's really unusual you're treating for ich for two months already. I've never heard of ich treatment taking this long before. The parasites should have been destroyed a few weeks ago.

Could you try getting new pics of the last blood parrot?