Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Best way to clean a tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/best-way-clean-tank-63079/)

SlimStretch 02-18-2011 09:57 PM

Best way to clean a tank?

I know there are some posts on here, but I get so confused, some people say bleach is fine, others say just use hot water. Is hot water really enough? I heard there is a soap you can get that would be pet safe, but not sure if that includes fish. I'm scared to use bleach because i'm going to be using ammonia to do a fishless cycle and well that sounds dangerous, and bleach just doesnt mix well with other stuff.

So i've heard bleach
vinegar
hot water
Potasium Psomething?
Limeaway

These are tanks that have been giving too me, or ive bought used so there is no telling if the fish in them before where sick or what.

Also what about cleaning my gravel, and hoses, and nets, and filters, and heaters?

Please help me, for I want to learn the right way to kill all the baddies out there but not my fishies. :lol:

:thankyou:

SlimStretch 02-18-2011 09:58 PM

2 are 10 gallons and 3 are 30 and 1 is a 55, so cleaning them in the tub will be hard at least for the bigger tanks. So i feel like hot water is out?

stevenjohn21 02-18-2011 10:26 PM

I usually use vinegar and hot water with plenty of elbow grease, use a pot scrubber it makes it a lot easier.
Your 10 gallon tanks will fit in the dishwasher, instead of soap just use vinegar it will come out sparkling :-)

I put my filters in the dishwasher also (obviously not the power cord) with the gravel just find a really fine net or bowl with a small hole so the gravel wont fall through but the water will and again throw it in the diswaher.

SlimStretch 02-18-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 (Post 594439)
I usually use vinegar and hot water with plenty of elbow grease, use a pot scrubber it makes it a lot easier.
Your 10 gallon tanks will fit in the dishwasher, instead of soap just use vinegar it will come out sparkling :-)

I put my filters in the dishwasher also (obviously not the power cord) with the gravel just find a really fine net or bowl with a small hole so the gravel wont fall through but the water will and again throw it in the diswaher.

Ewww don't have a dishwasher. We are old school lol. Can you take the power cord out of the filter?

I suppose i could boil some water and clean the tanks outside? Will the vinegar and hot water kill off all the baddies? And the gravel could i soak in vinegar or hot water?

clayton1169 02-18-2011 11:42 PM

I've never had to use any chemicals to clean tank itself they do make a few fish safe cleaners that I believe are pretty much vinegar based my local fish shop told me to clean fake plants and decor in a bucket with a cap of bleach then let them air dry but I don't think it would be good to scrub a tank with bleach

Byron 02-19-2011 11:52 AM

I've never gone to any of these lengths, so I would ask why you feel the need for such measures? Presumably this is a used tank acquired from another aquarist?

Byron.

iamgray 02-19-2011 12:44 PM

Assuming the person you bought the tanks from was actually using them to store fish and not motor oil (or some other toxic substance), you shouldn't have to worry too much about cleaning them... when I bought my tank (used), I used vinegar and warm water. And I should mention the tank I got had been stored for awhile... and people had used the gravel (still in the tank) as an ashtray... EEP! But still... that's all i did. Oh and there were some hard water stains (still are some) that I scrubbed with baking soda... and rinsed very well.

SlimStretch 02-19-2011 03:34 PM

More so just people who had tried it out or what not, i was worried about there being some sort of disease left over, as i dont know how their fish died. So hot water and vinegar will do the trick?

Byron 02-20-2011 10:45 AM

I've not yet heard of any disease being able to survive complete drying, whether before or after you clean it.

aunt kymmie 02-20-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 595674)
I've not yet heard of any disease being able to survive complete drying, whether before or after you clean it.

+1

Potassium Permanganate is not something I'd use for cleaning purposes, but it's a good product to use (if you're experienced with it) on plants or fish (as a dip) in order to kill certain parasites.