Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   help me decide what to breed and tell me how to sex if it's possible (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/help-me-decide-what-breed-tell-63051/)

fishbreeder 02-18-2011 04:22 PM

help me decide what to breed and tell me how to sex if it's possible

help me decide what to breed and tell me how tp sex it if possible i have a empty 29 gal well im getting rid of the angel this sunday i want only egg layers that guard their eggs

jaysee 02-19-2011 12:46 PM

You could try convicts. They are a good beginner fish to breed.

jeaninel 02-19-2011 04:30 PM

How about Kribs?

fishbreeder 02-19-2011 05:08 PM

i upgraded to a 50 gal and have 3 sd's nd a angel so what can i breed that will guard its eggs dwarf cichlids rams would those b ok

amazon21 02-19-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbreeder (Post 595040)
i upgraded to a 50 gal and have 3 sd's nd a angel so what can i breed that will guard its eggs dwarf cichlids rams would those b ok

how much experience do you have with fish and breeding? What are your water conditions like? how much time do you have for breeding

fishbreeder 02-19-2011 08:44 PM

i have alot of exp and time i dont know what my conditions r but i can get em checked when u recomend species and tell me whta the conditions need to b like

1077 02-19-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbreeder (Post 595222)
i have alot of exp and time i dont know what my conditions r but i can get em checked when u recomend species and tell me whta the conditions need to b like

You must know what your water from tap is like with regards to Ph, gh,kh, (test kit) in order to select fishes that will thrive (breed) in the water you have easily available.
Changing water conditions to suit fishes is not easy, and parameter's can fluctuate wildly which fishes don't enjoy.
Your previous post's indicate some success with livebearer's which indicates fairly hard water. I would look for species that thrive in alkaline water and would steer clear of soft water fishes.Will make water changes easier, and water parameter's more stable across breeding tanks,holding tanks,grow out tanks.
Would look for species that I could sell easily, or trade for store credit. Must have a plan for the fry from any breeding program whether it is euthanizing,selling,trading. Otherwise you wind up with inbred fishes with possible weaker, and weaker strains, which makes them more suceptible to disease,deformities.
Hope this helps.

jaysee 02-20-2011 12:59 AM

How many tanks do you have to devote to your breeding endeavor?

fishbreeder 02-20-2011 09:49 AM

3 a 10 20 and 55 gal

jaysee 02-20-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbreeder (Post 595617)
3 a 10 20 and 55 gal

Oh good! Most people who want to breed have their main tank and a 1 gallon tank "for the fry".